Views
Helpful
Replies

Slow connection to specific websites

PerseusDK
Level 1
Level 1

Hi group

I've got a quite strange problem with my network, regarding slow connections to specific websites.

The topology is:

Transit - PE_1

\

P--PE_3 - CE

/

Transit - PE_2

All internal links are GE and the links to the transits are also GE.

MTU between PE_3 and P has been tuned to 9120 bytes. Between PE_1 and P the MTU is 1500 Bytes just like between PE_2 and P.

All routers are enabled with BGP tables annd there is no problem with reachability from the CE.

The strange problem is, that to some websites my customer is complaining about _very_ slow connections, just like the connection hangs. If I connect the customer to the P router, the problem is no longer. Therefore I believe the problem is the connection between P and PE_3, but I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

config on P-router:

!

interface GigabitEthernet2/2/1

description PE_3 Gi2/2/1

mtu 9216

ip address xx.xx.xx.230 255.255.255.252

negotiation auto

mpls traffic-eng tunnels

mpls ip

end

!

config on PE_3-router:

!

interface GigabitEthernet2/2/1

description P Gi2/2/1

mtu 9216

ip address xx.xx.xx.231 255.255.255.252

negotiation auto

mpls traffic-eng tunnels

mpls ip

end

!

Is the problem the changed MTU size without changing "mpls mtu" or is it another issue...?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

your edge MTU cannot be greater than your middle MTU. Reduce your PE3 to P MTU to 1500 and it will be resolved. Always make sure your core MTU is greater than your edge and everything shall be kinda fine ;-)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

romccallum
Level 4
Level 4

your edge MTU cannot be greater than your middle MTU. Reduce your PE3 to P MTU to 1500 and it will be resolved. Always make sure your core MTU is greater than your edge and everything shall be kinda fine ;-)

Just as I expected. I changed the MTU yesterday and all worked fine afterwards.

Thanks for the confirmation...

Cheers,

Lars