Views
Helpful
Replies

Traceroute through VRF/L3VPN

matt.malott
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I work for a mid-sized ISP and we have an MPLS core consisting of ASR9K, ASR903, and ASR920 devices. We use OSPF and LDP. Currently, we have a VRF for internet traffic, which uses a L3VPN and BGP to get around our network. Our edge connections are also in a VRF using the same principles. This works great, however, customers are seeing default table hops in their traceroutes to the internet through our L3VPNs. I would like to know if there is a way to limit this visibility to hops in the VRF. I found some useful info on TTL propagation, but it seems that the "no mpls propogate-ttl" command is unavailable on our ASR900 devices. We are running 16.9.3 currently. Is this the correct command to fix this issue? If not, does anyone know a workaround? Thank you in advance for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matt,

your understanding is correct

the command

no mpls propagate-ttl

is the right tool to avoid to expose ISP router hops in global routing table to the customers when they perform a traceroute.

It is strange that ASR 900 does not support it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matt,

your understanding is correct

the command

no mpls propagate-ttl

is the right tool to avoid to expose ISP router hops in global routing table to the customers when they perform a traceroute.

It is strange that ASR 900 does not support it.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Upon further inspection, the command on the ASR900 devices with 16.X is:

no mpls ip propagate-ttl

The IP got me....yet again...

Thank you very much for the reply! Your response caused me to look deeper to find the solution!

Ashish Panda
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
The right syntax on IOS-XE should be “no mpls ip propagate-ttl”.
Could you try and see if it works

LaloRam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Matt,

The commands are:

IOS/IOS-XE - "no mpls ip ttl-propagate"

IOS-XR - "mpls ip ttl-propagate disable"