cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What does "nexthop in vrf default" mean?

shaunlouw1727
Level 1
Level 1

I am seeing this in a show ip route vrf XXXX output.

Googling I find no explanation or obvious reading material though many hits to other outputs with same thing.

What does it mean?

Much appreciate any reply...

5 Replies 5

It is expected in MPLS L3 VPN.
Using MPLS jargon, that is how the Ingress PE router (which connects to the customer or “CE” router) knows that it must forward the traffic using labels all the way through the MPLS network (through “P” routers) to reach the Loopback of the Egress PE. That Loopback is learned in the Default Routing Table usually by OSPF or ISIS.
In MPLS L3 VPN, the PE routers exchange customer’s routes between them via BGP VPNv4 and using Route-Targets (RT), they install those routes only in the specific customer’s VRFs to maintain isolation between different customers.
When a customer attempts to reach a remote site, the PE needs to look in that customer’s VRF Routing Table table to know to which remote PE send the traffic to. The next hop of route in the customer’s VRF is the remote’s PE loopback that is in the “vrf default” (aka Global Routing Table or default Routing Table).

Mohd Nasir
Level 1
Level 1

When i run sh ip route VRF A from remote PE router output shows below

B 10.42.13.32/27 [200/21] via 10.100.1.7 (nexthop in vrf default)

Pls suggest solution as unable to ping vrf A CE from remote PE

Can you please share more of your config? Something like 'show run router static' ?

Running config of PE-1 ios XR

Hi @Mohd Nasir ,

Can you try to do a mpls ping for the next hop address;

ping mpls ipv4 10.100.1.7 source lo0

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222