cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1X Authentication with VLAN assignment issue.

leeh1002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I plan to implement 802.1X authentication with  VLAN assignment on our network and assign different VLAN onto the access switch(Cat2960) according to end devices (for example, VLAN10 for WLAN, VLAN20 for voice, VLA30 for IPTV set-top box, VLAN40 for PC) after successful authentication.

The topology of network is (L3 backbone Switch: Cat6K) <-----> (L2 Access switch: Cat2960) <--------> (L2 Access switch: Cat2960) <--> WLAN/Voice/IPTV/PC. (Please refer to the attahced file for detailed topology)

I have to adhere to (L2 switch) <--> (L2 switch) topology due to cabling issue.

My question is below.

1. To accommodate various VLAN of end devices, the only way is making trunk port on both L2 switches. is it possible?

As far as I know, can't enable 802.1X on a trunk port. is it right?

2. If right, is there any solution ?

Thank you for your help. :-)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You won't be running 802.1x on the trunk ports between switches, but rather on the ports to which the end-user devices connect.

View solution in original post

Right, don't configure 802.1x on the trunk ports on either switch, A or B. Only on the ports on switch B that will have end user computers (or other devices with 802.1x supplicants).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You won't be running 802.1x on the trunk ports between switches, but rather on the ports to which the end-user devices connect.

Hi Javier,

My understanding for your comment is that I can't use (L2 Switch) <--> (L2 Switch) <--> End-devices and the only possible topology is (L2 Switch) <--> End-devices.

Is it correct?

How about this topology?

(L2 Switch-A)  Port #1 <-----> (L2 Switch-B) Port #1 <--> VLAN10: AP

Port #2  <-----> (L2 Switch-B) Port #2 <--->VLAN20: Voice

Port #3 <-------> (L2 Switch-B) Port #3 <---> VLAN30: IPTV Set-top Box , etc.

Is it possible solution?

Thank you for your advice.

My point is that you won't be activating 802.1x on the ports that are trunks between switches, only on the port(s) that will have end user devices.

So:

Switch-A <------> Switch-B

Above, you will have one port on Switch-A connected to one port on Switch-B, that presumably will be a trunk port, carrying multiple VLANs. You won't have 802.1x configured on either of those two ports.

Then, you will have end user computers on other ports on Switch-B. You will be configuring 802.1x on each of those ports, and on those ports only.

Hi Javier,

Thank  you for your answer.

That mean I can enable 802.1X ports, excepting trunk port on switch-B  to which end user is connected.

And 802.1X traffic(EAP) can pass though trunk port on Switch-B

Is it correct?

Right, don't configure 802.1x on the trunk ports on either switch, A or B. Only on the ports on switch B that will have end user computers (or other devices with 802.1x supplicants).

Thank a lot.

Your advice was very helpful answer. :-)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: