cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ansible & ISE APIs

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Seeking some guidance on something I am stuck on atm.  I have been spending a decent amount of time with Ansible and ISE APIs as of lately.  I am able to consume ISE APIs when running several GET/POST calls.  However, I am having an issue when needing to run a PUT call to essentially update a resource.  In this particular use case I have a playbook that runs a few plays: 

-The first play is a GET query to provide me with a specific endpoint details

-The next play prints the returned output essentially showing the admin that everything is good thus far

-Then I extract the endpoint ID string using json_query and store it as a variable

-For peace of mind the following play prints the variable to show we have the ID string of the endpoint

-Then the last play I attempt to update the endpoint group assignment via appending the id string 

This is where I am stuck.  Does anyone know how to convert an item to string with Ansible? 

Playbook:

---
- name: ISE
  hosts: localhost
  connection: local
  gather_facts: false
  vars:
    ise_user: xxxx
    ise_pass: xxxx

tasks:
  - name: Get Existing MAC Endpoint ID string
    uri:
      url: https://x.x.x.x:9060/ers/config/endpoint?filter=mac.EQ.{{ mac_addr }}
      user: "{{ ise_user }}"
      password: "{{ ise_pass }}"
      headers:
        Accept: application/json
        content-type: application/json
        ers-media-type: identity.endpoint.1.2
      status_code: 200
      method: GET
      validate_certs: no
    register: endpoint_id

- name: Print returned ISE json data
    debug:
     msg: "{{ endpoint_id.json }}"

- name: Get ISE ID String
    set_fact:
     id: "{{ endpoint_id | json_query(jmesquery) }}"
    vars:
      jmesquery: '*.SearchResult.resources[*].id'

- name: Print ISE Endpoint ID
    debug: 
     msg: "{{ id }}"

- name: Move existing MAC to new Identity Group
    uri:
      url: https://x.x.x.x:9060/ers/config/endpoint/{{ id }}
      user: "{{ ise_user }}"
      password: "{{ ise_pass }}"
      headers:
        Accept: application/json
        content-type: application/json
        ers-media-type: identity.endpoint.1.2
      status_code: 201
      method: PUT
      body_format: json
      body: '{"ERSEndPoint" : {"staticGroupAssignment" : "true","description" : DESC,"groupId" : "6cd78cb0-3bbf-11eb-a867-1e4ebebfb039"}}'
      validate_certs: no

You can see the job run results below to see how the id string gets appended in the wrong format:

PLAY [ISE] *********************************************************************
TASK [Get Existing MAC Endpoint ID string] *************************************
ok: [localhost]
TASK [Print returned ISE json data] ********************************************
ok: [localhost] => {
"msg": {
"SearchResult": {
"resources": [
{
"id": "69d3bf30-ce12-11eb-ba90-c63c5470e9ab",
"link": {
"href": "https://xx.xx.xx.xx:9060/ers/config/endpoint/69d3bf30-ce12-11eb-ba90-c63c5470e9ab",
"rel": "self",
"type": "application/json"
},
"name": "AA:BB:BB:BB:BB:BB"
}
],
"total": 1
}
}
}
TASK [Get ISE Endpoint ID String] **********************************************
ok: [localhost]
TASK [Print ISE Endpoint ID] ***************************************************
ok: [localhost] => {
"msg": [
[
"69d3bf30-ce12-11eb-ba90-c63c5470e9ab"
]
]
}
TASK [Move existing MAC to new Identity Group] *********************************
fatal: [localhost]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "connection": "close", "content": "", "content_length": "0", "date": "Thu, 17 Jun 2021 19:12:37 GMT", "elapsed": 0, "msg": "Status code was 400 and not [201]: HTTP Error 400: ", "redirected": false, "server": "", "status": 400, "url": "https://xx.xx.xx.xx:9060/ers/config/endpoint/[[u'69d3bf30-ce12-11eb-ba90-c63c5470e9ab']]"}
PLAY RECAP *********************************************************************
localhost : ok=4 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=1 skipped=0 rescued=0 ignored=0

To summarize the current issue is how I extract/store the id as a variable and then append it like so:

"https://xx.xx.xx.xx:9060/ers/config/endpoint/[[u'69d3bf30-ce12-11eb-ba90-c63c5470e9ab']]"

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is the solution to strip and append just the ISE endpoint ID string:

- name: Extract ID from Nested List
    set_fact:
     id: "{{ id[0][0] }}"

Added right below this play: 

Shoutout to Kirk Byers on the assist.  Python for Network Engineers (twb-tech.com)

mcifelli1/ansible-ise (github.com)

HTH!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is the solution to strip and append just the ISE endpoint ID string:

- name: Extract ID from Nested List
    set_fact:
     id: "{{ id[0][0] }}"

Added right below this play: 

Shoutout to Kirk Byers on the assist.  Python for Network Engineers (twb-tech.com)

mcifelli1/ansible-ise (github.com)

HTH!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: