Views
Helpful
Replies

asa or cat switch login retry lock

ronald.su
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

I wanna know if there have any way to prevent a brute login attack. e.g. if a user or IP login 5 times failure, ASA or cat switch will lock the use or IP for 30 minutes.

how to config ?

PS:

on ASA currently, we use: aaa local authentication attempts max-fail 5

this need manual to unlock the user which is not meet our requirement. we wanna the user or IP will auto unlock after a period.

thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I don't believe there is a way to do similar on the ASA.

View solution in original post

No I don't think you can do that per user basis, however, what you can do in this case as a workaround would be to define an ACL and apply it to the device to exempt the blocking to the IP/subnet defined in it, kinda a backdoor access in addition to the console port. By doing that, during the blocking period, the device will still allow accesses from that IP/subnet defined in the ACL. Here is an example:

access-list 150 permit tcp 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.255 any eq 22

login quiet-mode access-class 150

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

ronald.su
Level 1
Level 1

we know the switch  command:
SW3850(config)#login block-for 120 attempts 5 within 120

now, just need the ASA command

I don't believe there is a way to do similar on the ASA.

I tried login block-for 1800 attempts 5 within 300 on my switch

it seemd will locked whole device login, so that will making dos attack. 

if there has a way can only lock the user or IP ?

thanks

No I don't think you can do that per user basis, however, what you can do in this case as a workaround would be to define an ACL and apply it to the device to exempt the blocking to the IP/subnet defined in it, kinda a backdoor access in addition to the console port. By doing that, during the blocking period, the device will still allow accesses from that IP/subnet defined in the ACL. Here is an example:

access-list 150 permit tcp 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.255 any eq 22

login quiet-mode access-class 150

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at some recomendation for Preventing Network Attacks - , is this works for you ?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/conf_gd/protect.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help