cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE 1.2 > 1.4 License Issue

James Davies
Level 1
Level 1

I had a 2-Node deployment, that were running 1.2, so started the upgrade process, going to 1.4 but could not do this as a cluster, it just kept failing.

So I de-registered the secondary node and made the primary standalone and then successfully upgraded the secondary to 1.4.

Now I have a license warning, and it will expire in 120 days! not what I wanted to see.

the license for 4500 endpoints (2 Base licenses and 3 Advanced Packages) are all on the now standalone unit, that was the primary, I think this is because they were licensed when clustered, If I upgrade the licensed unit to 1.4 as well, and re-cluster will everything be back to normal? I hope so!

thanks in advance.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The TAC can help you get this straightened out and so can licensing team

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/how-do-i-rehost-my-existing-ise-license-s-onto-a-new-or/ta-p/3632248

Please move to at least ISE 2.2. 2.4 is our latest long term release.  ISE 1.4 is EOL/EOS

View solution in original post

Moving back to cluster should work as long as the primary matches the serial that was in the license. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @James Davies

It would appear that when the licenses were generated on the cisco.com licensing portal, that the UDI (aka Serial No. etc) of the Primary PAN was supplied, but someone forgot to supply the UDI of the Secondary PAN.  This is not uncommon and it leads to exactly the problem that you described. Everything works well until the day comes, when, that the Seconday PAN is in charge :-( - ooops no license for that guy.

Thanks for the reply, Will this be OK once they rejoin as a deployment though?

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The TAC can help you get this straightened out and so can licensing team

https://community.cisco.com/t5/security-documents/how-do-i-rehost-my-existing-ise-license-s-onto-a-new-or/ta-p/3632248

Please move to at least ISE 2.2. 2.4 is our latest long term release.  ISE 1.4 is EOL/EOS

This is not an accepted solution. It also does not answer my question. These devices are no longer in support, so a TAC wont help, I also do not know under what email account the original licenses were purchased.

Will joining these back as a cluster work? I am well aware of upgrading to 2.4, hence me asking for help during the process. please unmark this as accepted solution, as it is not.

Moving back to cluster should work as long as the primary matches the serial that was in the license. 

OK thanks, but what Cert? do you mean the serial number matches the license? it will..