Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE fail to ping its default gateway

laurathaqi
Level 3
Level 3

Dear community, 

I have a Cisco ISE v2.7 Installed in a VM appliance, which was working fine for about three months. Until suddenly it fails to open its GUI. I can not access ISE via SSH and I can't ping its IP from my local computer, which was working fine previously. 

While troubleshooting from administrator console, I find out that it can not ping its default gateway neither. Its interface is up, and has the IP and Default Gateway properly configured, as such was working fine for a while. 

Checked the services of ISE with the "show application status ise" and it has the services running status. 

Not sure what the problem might be and I am confused on the next troubleshooting steps I should take. Did my research on google but no similar cases found!  

----------------------------------------

Information added: I see on my ESXi console that there is an ip of 169.254.x.x added and then after that second ordered I see the static IP i assigned to ISE and the one I was using to access ISE, which is still configured on the interface. 

Another weird attribute is that ISE is using its full RAM. Which is think is not right as per the appliance being unpublished and a small node with no users. I added more RAM, and it again went to full usage of it.

Does anyone has any idea how to further troubleshoot this case? 

Any Information would be highly appreciated. 

Many thanks,

LTH

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Thomas, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I did the "application stop ise" and "application start ise" as I read it was best practice. I also tried rebooting couple of times in the VM level, still no success. 

Edit: As per TAC case, I am having issues to contact them since it is asking me to have a Cisco contract related to my account. And when I try to assign one which was assigned previously to another college of mine, it does not work, not sure why!. 

Thank you

View solution in original post

Check if the RAM and CPU is reserved for this VM on ESXI server and snapshots are disabled as these are some of the prerequisite on ISE VM.
Share the sh tech output of the ISE from console session. Also validate the ESXI server that the ISE network interface is assigned in the correct VLAN.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

thomas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Have you tried rebooting?

If you do that and it still has the problem, call TAC.

Hi Thomas, 

Thank you for your reply. 

I did the "application stop ise" and "application start ise" as I read it was best practice. I also tried rebooting couple of times in the VM level, still no success. 

Edit: As per TAC case, I am having issues to contact them since it is asking me to have a Cisco contract related to my account. And when I try to assign one which was assigned previously to another college of mine, it does not work, not sure why!. 

Thank you

Check if the RAM and CPU is reserved for this VM on ESXI server and snapshots are disabled as these are some of the prerequisite on ISE VM.
Share the sh tech output of the ISE from console session. Also validate the ESXI server that the ISE network interface is assigned in the correct VLAN.

Hi LTH, How was the progress of your investigation?

Have seen this same issue as well on ISE  2.7 patch 2.

Thank you,

Jef

Hi Janarna, 

No, no similar issue noticed. However, I highly believe the issue I encountered happened as per the fact I increased hardware specs on the VM I had ISE hosted in. No fact found, just a though of the whole readings I did in regards the issue. 

My actions were to return a full backup I had from ISE. Now, its working fine. 

Best,

Laura 

laurathaqi
Level 3
Level 3

Dear all, 

As I could not find any solution. I return to an earlier date of VM level Backup which works. Even though I lost some configurations. Better this than start from scratch. 

Info: TAC told me to do some checks that I did prior to opening the case, but since I could not wait more than this. I decided on proceed on the VM backup usage. 

Still this is an issue that I would like to know what happened. So I am going to further analyse the broken version. As if it happens in Production, this could lead to big issues. I will update you with my future findings. 

Thank you all for the effort to support me on this issue. Its highly appreciated. 

Best wishes 

Hi,

I also encounter the same issue whereby the default gateway suddenly went missing. Prior to this the Server shut off by itself. I am unable to find the reason why for both of this situation. If anyone encountered the same issue and found a fix kindly let me know.

Hi, 

I highly do believe is as per the fact of RAM and CPU increased after deployment. For example: ISE checks for RAM and CPU to define its VM license. If ISE VM license is small VM, in documentation says u need to have 16GB RAM, If u increase RAM later to ex:32GB while having small VM license, ISE will get unresponsive. Tried to lower back the specs after that, but no success entering ISE.

My solution was to restore latest backup I had and start from there. 

Hope it helps. 

Best,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: