cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible that PID: R-ISE-VM-K9 migrate to the PID:R-ISE-VMM-K9?

ach3452002
Level 1
Level 1

Hi , Everyone

The EoS/EoL information for R-ISE-VM-K9 is announced by Cisco.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/identity-services-engine/eos-eol-notice-c51-741254.html

And it will be EoL on February 28, 2022.

But the document describe the Replacement Product Part Number is "R-ISE-VMM-K9="

I would like to know is it possible that PID [R-ISE-VM-K9] migrate to the PID [R-ISE-VMM-K9]?

So that I can renew Service Contract for the next five year.

Or I need to buy the new "R-ISE-VMM-K9" and change the config to the new one?

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can convert them. Open a TAC case and the licensing team will migrate the old R-ISE-VM-K9 you bought to R-ISE-VMM-K9. They will then provide them as either smart licenses or traditional PAK (2.7 and below). 

I recommend moving to smart licensing if you have not already done so, now would be a good time since 3.0 requires smart licensing. 

View solution in original post

@jvujcich Your case is different. ISE 3.1 uses Cisco Smart Licensing. As a result, you need migrate the licenses in your Cisco smart account. More info, see http://cs.co/ise-ordering

@jvujcich R-ISE-VM-K9= is NOT ISE-VM-K9.

R-ISE-VM-K9= is a licensing PID whereas ISE-VM-K9 is a platform PID. All ISE VM instances will show ISE-VM-K9 as the PID and we will consuming licensing PID according to the ISE releases.

18 Replies 18

Damien Miller
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can convert them. Open a TAC case and the licensing team will migrate the old R-ISE-VM-K9 you bought to R-ISE-VMM-K9. They will then provide them as either smart licenses or traditional PAK (2.7 and below). 

I recommend moving to smart licensing if you have not already done so, now would be a good time since 3.0 requires smart licensing. 

Hi Dimian,

Thank you for your comments.

After the migration (from ISE-VM to ISE-VMM) is done, should the PID be updated? I have done the migration but I still have the same PID and on top of that two VM licenses (before one).

All the best,

You should be using the VMC (VM-common) license now.

Hello Ahollifield,

For the VMC license, you must have the Smart License activated. In my case, I have a traditional license and I migrate from R-ISE-VM-K9 to R-ISE-VMM-K9 (not R-ISE-VMC-K9).

Best Regards,
Kabil M.

That is correct.  However, the move to Smart Licensing is required in ISE 3.0 (all other ISE versions have EOL announced) so it makes sense to go ahead and move to Smart Licensing.  

Yes, I know. We plan to update it in the medium term but my question is if after migrating the Virtual Machine license from ISE-VM to ISE-VMM the PID has to be updated on the ISE, that is, instead of showing "PID: ISE-VM-K9" appears "PID: ISE-VMM-K9".

Hi @Kabil_M ,

it make sense to me that the PID shows the "correct PID",  in your case PID: ISE-VMM-K9.

Please double check the information via the following commands:

ise/admin# show tech-support
Displaying UDI (Unique Device Identifier) information...
UDI PID: ISE-VM-K9

or 

ise/admin# show inventory
NAME: "ISE-VM-K9 chassis", DESCR: "ISE-VM-K9 chassis"
PID: ISE-VM-K9 , VID: V01 , SN: XXXXXXX

Hope this helps !!!

Thanks for your comment Marcelo.

After launching those commands, I still see that the PID is VM and not VMM, do you know if it is necessary to take any further action for the ISE to update this PID?

Kabil M.

Hi @Kabil_M ,

since every command shows the same info, then IMO you are good (maybe it's a backward compatibility issue).

You can double check with TAC.

Note: the show tech-support and show inventory command execute a Linux command to show the VM UDI PID. I'll start paying attention to this !!!

Hope this helps !!!

Hi Damien, Thanks for the confirmation, i knew that, but have an aditional question. What if the customer wants to continue their support contract with those licenses. For the R-ISE-VM-K9 you are no longer able to renew you support contract after feb 28th, 2022, but if you have converted your license to smart before you end up with a perpetual licenses which corresponds to: R-ISE-VMM-K9=, but you are no longer able to buy support on those. Should we request new instance id's?

Kr, 

Rob

SAM1275
Level 1
Level 1

Similar situation we have, not know to get product under support.
PID still remain same even installing new VM.

Hi @SAM1275 ,

what is your ISE version and patch?

SAM1275
Level 1
Level 1

version 2.6.0.156
patch 3

jvujcich
Level 1
Level 1

I have a similar issue.

I got our hosting team to build a fresh ISE3.1 from a file I downloaded from Cisco (ISE-3.1.0.518-virtual-SNS3615-SNS3655-600.ova ).

It built okay at Ver 3.1, but the PID is the old EOL one (ISE-VM-K9).

I would expect to see the latest PID (R-ISE-VMC-K9).

Is there something wrong with the OVA Cisco provided?