Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE 2.4 install on C220 failed

Thomas Kosowski
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning Everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me out with Cisco ISE 2.4 installation on our C220 server. We had a Cisco ACS installed on the server for years and now we switching to ISE. I was able to upgrade CICM and Bios to 4.0.1 version and that want great. I've started installing ISE over and VKVM and boot it up from the ISO image. I took over 2hr to go thru installation points 1/515 and so on. After that was done, server rebooted but once it booted UP it went back to Linux CommanPrompt and it said "type STATUP" but nothing is happening. I have repeated this process and make sure we have a different ISO but at the end, it seems like it won't boot ISE on that server and I can't find anything about this problem or what I am doing wrong. 

Any help would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

4.0.3 is not tested by our teams so not recommended.

If Cisco UCS C220 M3 (SNS-3415 or 3495), please move CIMC to 2.0.4c.

If Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SNS-3515 or 3595), use the signed BIOS and CIMC 3.0.3a for SNS-35X5 available at ISE - SNS-33X5 Firmware Software Download or contact TAC for a later release.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hi @Thomas Kosowski - I think you may have run into the UEFI Secure Boot issue with UCS and ISE.  It appears that if you mess around with the CIMC, then you kill the ability to boot any operating system from the HDD.  The latest officially supported (and more importantly, SIGNED release) of CIMC for ISE is 3.0.3a

There was a thread about this on the community forums recently. 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/identity-services-engine-ise/ise-cimc-software-strategy/td-p/3730379

People try to do the right thing by upgrading their CIMC and in the process end up killing the ability to install ISE.  If you are able to disable the SecureBoot mode in the BIOS then you might get ISE to boot again.

hslai
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
... I've started installing ISE over and VKVM and boot it up from the ISO image. I took over 2hr to go thru installation points 1/515 and so on. After that was done, server rebooted but once it booted UP it went back to Linux CommanPrompt and it said "type STATUP" but nothing is happening. ...

In case this is a typo of type 'setup', then the prompt is actually in the bottom of the screen. Take a look of 

Installing ISE 2.2 Virtual Machine: Quick and Easy - YouTube and move the video position to ~ 1:23 / 5:57.

Otherwise, please provide a snapshot of this "type STATUP" prompt, as to give us a better picture how far you got.

Adding to Arne's..., which is for SNS 3515 or 3595, based on Cisco UCS C220 M4, would requires secure boot to install ISE. 

ISE - SNS-33X5 Firmware Software Download currently has signed BIOS and CIMC 3.0.3a for SNS-35X5.  

If your appliances are of SNS 3415 or 3495, which based on Cisco UCS C220 M3, please stay on CIMC 2.0.4c, per 

Field Notice: FN - 70227 - Cisco Identity Services Engine Might Exhibit Server Stability Issues on SNS-3415-K9 and SNS-3495-K9 - Workaround Provided - Cisco

Thanks Hsing!  I never thought of looking at ISE 1.x folder :-(   ggggrrrr - might be useful to put the firmware in its own folder.

+1. We gave the same feedback to the engineering teams, who working on posting 3.0(4j).

Hi, 

@hslai wrote:
... I've started installing ISE over and VKVM and boot it up from the ISO image. I took over 2hr to go thru installation points 1/515 and so on. After that was done, server rebooted but once it booted UP it went back to Linux CommanPrompt and it said "type STATUP" but nothing is happening. ...

In case this is a typo of type 'setup', then the prompt is actually in the bottom of the screen. Take a look of 

Installing ISE 2.2 Virtual Machine: Quick and Easy - YouTube and move the video position to ~ 1:23 / 5:57.

Otherwise, please provide a snapshot of this "type STATUP" prompt, as to give us a better picture how far you got.

Adding to Arne's..., which is for SNS 3515 or 3595, based on Cisco UCS C220 M4, would requires secure boot to install ISE. 

Thank you for response. ,  I have revied the youtube link and my install doesn't look close. Right after we see all the GREEN "OK" the installer goes into veird automated process that is installing services 1/547 (if not mistaken), this process takes about 90-120min ( done it 3 times). When Anaconda service starts, few minutes after that the system restarts and boots the entire C220 again and it comes out with the regular LINUX interface where the command line word say type" STARTUP" is highlited yellow but when you type it it says it can't find context. Please remember that this is physical system install not a VM. Our VM ISE 2.4.ova installed without any problems and this is fresh install. One think we did before the ISE install on the C220 was we have upgraded firmware from 1.5 to 4.0.3 from Cisco but at the end of that upgrade everything was showing SUCCESFULLY upgraded to v.4.0.3

I can included some screenshots tomorrow. 

4.0.3 is not tested by our teams so not recommended.

If Cisco UCS C220 M3 (SNS-3415 or 3495), please move CIMC to 2.0.4c.

If Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SNS-3515 or 3595), use the signed BIOS and CIMC 3.0.3a for SNS-35X5 available at ISE - SNS-33X5 Firmware Software Download or contact TAC for a later release.

Thank you guys for the assistance. The original error was actually from UEFI boot and it coudn't see the drives. I was able to roll-back BIOS and CICM to 2.0 and install 3.0.3(a) and the installation was able to finish without any problems. I've configured IPs and all the fun information and ISE is ready for configuration.

Thank you all for the assistance with this issues, you guys are the best.