Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Guest Anchor controller DMZ Configuration

I was looking a design where there is a foreign controller and a anchor controller in the DMZ. 

I am unclear on the some of the specifics for such a setup. 

There is a PSN in the DMZ (single homed) for guest hotspot/self registration and there are PSNs inside of the firewall and also PAN/MNT etc.

Questions: 

1) On the foreign controller, the auth/accouting is set to go to the internal PSN

2) should the Anchor controller have auth/accounting setup to go to the DMZ PSN or inside PSN? or does it matter ? 

3) I heard only one of the PSNs needs accounting, so should accounting only be enabled for anchor

controller ? 

4) Is it best practice to put the guest vlan different from the DMZ PSN vlan and then have a ACL that only allow connection to 8443 on the PSN in DMZ for guest ? 

It would be great to have a full working sample of such a configuration. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The RADIUS authentication and the guest portal traffic need to arrive at the same PSN. The redirect link contains the RADIUS session ID that only the PSN the authenticated the MAB session will know about.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paul
Level 10
Level 10

On the foreign controller you need to point auth/accounting to the guest PSN in the DMZ.  Poke holes in the FW to allow UDP 1812/1813 to that PSN.  On the anchor controller only auth should be sent to the guest PSN.  Do not send accounting information.

I usually put the guest PSN on a different DMZ.  You will need to allow the guest subnet to talk 8443 (or whatever port you use for the guest portal).  The guest PSN will need to be allowed to join the deployment, but does not need to join AD.

thx Paul . just wondering if pointing the foreign controller to the guest PSN is mandatory ? as guest PSN and internal PSN are just the same, and in a distributed environment, I thought any PSN can process a auth/accounting request ? 

The RADIUS authentication and the guest portal traffic need to arrive at the same PSN. The redirect link contains the RADIUS session ID that only the PSN the authenticated the MAB session will know about.