Views
Helpful
Replies

ISE Upgrade File Copy Error

David Pease
Level 1
Level 1

According to the Upgrade Guidelines for 1.2:

Copy the upgrade bundle to the local disk using the copy command from the Cisco ISE CLI: copyftp-filepath ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz disk:/   Again, after you copy the upgrade bundle to the local disk, check to  ensure that the size of the upgrade bundle in your local disk is the  same as it is in the repository. Use the dir command to verify the size of the upgrade bundle in the local disk.

When I attempt to run this command, I keep getting the error:

"% long command detected at '^' marker"

using the following command:

" copy repository FTPDPZ ise-patchbundle-1.2.0.899-1-82500.x86_64.tar.gz"

I have also tried to replace the repository + name with an IP address, with just the repository name, and with 100 other things.

I tried to look up what a "long command" is, but I come up with nothing.

What is the proper verbage to utilize this command?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sam Hertica
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey David,

It looks like you've been staring a bit too long at this, and accidently misinterpreted the guide! The 'copy' command doesn't utilize any repositories currently setup in the running-config, so you have to type it out like so

copy shertica@ftp-server.domain.com/ise-patchbundle.etc.etc.etc.tar.gz disk:\

When you're typing it out, there are more arguements to the command than it knows it should handle, so it throws the 'long command' error.

1               2               3                                                      4                                                            5

copy repository FTPDPZ ise-patchbundle-1.2.0.899-1-82500.x86_64.tar.gz disk:\

vs

1                                                                     2                                                                                 3

copy shertica@ftp-server.domain.com\ise-patchbundle.etc.etc.etc.tar.gz disk:\

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have to set the destination.

Your command:

" copy repository FTPDPZ ise-patchbundle-1.2.0.899-1-82500.x86_64.tar.gz"

Should be:

copy repository FTPDPZ ise-patchbundle-1.2.0.899-1-82500.x86_64.tar.gz disk:/

You have the copy from portion, but not the copy to.

Just add disk:/ to the end of the command.

Charles,

I appreciate the quick response.  After looking over my posting, I realize that I neglected to add that to my post as part of the command I entered.   In actuality, I have tried it with disk:/ on the end, and I apologize for leaving that out.  I only wish it were that easy.

I believe that my problem lies with the ftp-filepath section of the command, but there are no examples that I could find that gives the exact wording I need to use with regards to repositories.  The term ftp-filepath is too ambiguous.

Thank You for your input, however.  Any information is better than none!

David,

It figures, doesn't it?  No worries.  The repository system is a confusing one, but it is what we have.  I have found detailed instructions on using it, but they are for the Cisco Prime LMS product.  The process is the same (I used these unstructions when doing my ISE 1.2 Upgrade), just substitute file names as necessary.

Step 1 Log into the shell and navigate to the location where the upgrade file, lms4_2_3_lnx_k9.zip is stored.

myhost/admin# shell

starting shell...

[myhost/ root-ade ~]

Note The  login name that appears in the command prompt depends on the login name  entered by the user while installing LMS on VM Console.

Step 2 Unzip the lms4_2_3_lnx_k9.zip file to extract Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution_4_2_3.tar.gz.

[myhost/ root-ade myloc] unzip lms4_2_2_lnx_k9.zip

Step 3 Copy the Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution_4_2_3.tar.gz to local disk partition of LMS 4.2.2 installed server (/localdisk).

Step 4 Log in with your credentials to the VM Console through Vsphere client.

Step 5 Create either a local or remote repository. A repository contains URL and credential details

myhost/admin# configure terminal

myhost/admin(config)# repository <>

myhost/admin(config-Repository)# url ?

Enter repository URL, including server and path info (Max Size - 80)

cdrom:  Local CD-ROM drive (read only)

disk:   Local storage

ftp:    URL using a FTP server

http:   URL using a HTTP server (read only)

https:  URL using a HTTPS server (read only)

nfs:    URL using a NFS server

sftp:   URL using a SFTP server

tftp:   URL using a TFTP server

Step 6 Combine the URL to the repository that uses a local or remote storage.

a. The following IOS CLI shows how to combine the URL to a repository that uses a local storage:

myhost/admin(config-Repository)# url disk:

myhost/admin(config-Repository)# exit

myhost/admin(config)# exit

myhost/admin# write mem

Generating configuration...

myhost/admin#

b. The following IOS CLI shows how to combine the URL to a repository that uses an anonymous FTP server:

myhost/admin(config-Repository)# url ftp://<>

myhost/admin(config-Repository)# user <> password plain <>

myhost/admin(config-Repository)# exit

myhost/admin(config)# exit

myhost/admin# write mem

Generating configuration...

myhost/admin#

You can use the above mentioned steps for other protocols.

Step 7 Run the below command in the VM console in VSphere client.

myhost/admin# application upgrade Cisco_Prime_LAN_Management_Solution_4_2_3.tar.gz <>

Save the ADE-OS running configuration? (yes/no) [yes]?

Step 8 Press Enter to continue with LMS 4.2.3 upgrade.

An Application upgrade successful message appears.

Here is the doc that contains these instructions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.2.3/release/notes/lms4_2_3_release_notes.html#wp1183869

Charles,

I appreciate the documentation, but I already understand how to create repositories.  Allow me to restate my issue as I want to include all pertinent information...

I am trying to copy the patch/ugrade files from a repository to the server's local disk.  I have created a repository called "local" that I would like to transfer the files to.  The repository I am trying to copy the files from is called "ftp". 

I have tried the following commands and the error messages I recieved are listed after:

copy ftp ise-patchbundle-1.2.0.899-1-82500.x86_64.tar.gz disk:/

^

long command detected at '^' marker.

copy ftp ise-patchbundle-1.2.0.899-1-82500.x86_64.tar.gz

Error: invalid url

copy repository ftp ise-patchbundle-1.2.0.899-1-82500.x86_64.tar.gz disk:/

^

long command detected at '^' marker.

Unfortunately there is no documentation that I can find that tells me what I need to put in the command where "ftp-filepath" is.  I have tried multiple variations, all with similar results.  This is getting frustrating, but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Why are you even trying to do this?

Why not just create an FTP repository and update via that?  Manually copying to the local disk is surely an un-necessary additional step?  Updating direct from an FTP server is a very reliable process, which is what most people are after when performing upgrades....

Richard,

Thank you for your response.  I am not above doing so, but the documentation for the 1.2 upgrade specifically states that copying the upgrade files to the local repository is recommended.  Considering some of the issues I ahve experienced in the past with upgrading ISE, I am trying to eliminate any point of failure that I am able to.

There are LOADS of issues with upgrading ISEs.... I've probably done 30-odd upgrades of various ISEs from 1.0 through to 1.2 and that FTP based updates are reliable is about the only thing I can state with any certainty...

Perhaps you can tell us what problem you're trying to avoid / encountered previously? And what software version you're upgrading from?

Richard,

While I appreciate the offer, I would rather focus my efforts on getting this command to work properly.   One thing I have learned in upgrading our ISE installation, is that there is no specific set of factors that will determine an upgrade failure.  I am trying to set this up according to Cisco's Recommended Practices.   While your expertise in upgrading ISE installations woudl be helpful, I have been tasked to follow the Cisco Guidelines.

I will say that the upgrade path we are following is from 1.1.3 Patch 3 to 1.2 Patch 2.  We have two admin nodes and two monitoring/policy nodes.  One Admin and one Secondary of each.  Admin Nodes are at one physical location, and the Secondary are at another.

I cannot specifically tell you exaclty what the issues were last time we attempted to upgrade, other than it took 10 hours on a call with TAC to get back to a functioning system, and that is not including the time we spent trying to fix the issue ourselves.

So, if I need to revert back to using FTP to transfer the upgrade files, I can do so, but, once again, according to the documentation for 1.2, copying the files locally is Best Practice, and the command they list to do so is too ambigous in its structure.

Sam Hertica
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey David,

It looks like you've been staring a bit too long at this, and accidently misinterpreted the guide! The 'copy' command doesn't utilize any repositories currently setup in the running-config, so you have to type it out like so

copy shertica@ftp-server.domain.com/ise-patchbundle.etc.etc.etc.tar.gz disk:\

When you're typing it out, there are more arguements to the command than it knows it should handle, so it throws the 'long command' error.

1               2               3                                                      4                                                            5

copy repository FTPDPZ ise-patchbundle-1.2.0.899-1-82500.x86_64.tar.gz disk:\

vs

1                                                                     2                                                                                 3

copy shertica@ftp-server.domain.com\ise-patchbundle.etc.etc.etc.tar.gz disk:\

Sam,

Thank you so much for responding.   Your message is exactly what I was looking for.   I was able to research the Command Line FTP Transfer syntax, and copy the files over to the servers' local repository using command line.    I don't believe I was misinterpreting the guide, but the guide is very ambiguous about explaining exactly what usage is allowed or disallowed.

I appreciate everyone's input on this matter.  For anyone else who is having issues with this, I will give you the syntax I used that allowed me to perform the operation I was requesting:

copy ftp://(username):(password)@(FTP Server IP Address)/ise-upgradebundle-1.1.x-to-1.2.0.899.i386.tar.gz disk:/

and you can substitute the Filename for whatever you are attempting to copy.

Thank You Again for all of the replies!

Thank you David!

I too wanted to follow along, especially since one of my nodes is over a slower link, so I wanted to copy the files locally to the nodes.

You explained it very well and it is working great. Thanks for your follow up comment.

You are welcome.  It is very frustrating when you find a topic on here that explains your problem exactly, but there is no updates/resolutions at all which does no good for anyone.   I am glad my response was able to help you!

Thanks, that worked!

Hi folks, if you trying to copy the other way, from ISE up to another server, here is the way. Works on ISE 2.3.x.

copy disk:/urt.log sftp://1.2.3.4/FTP/TAC

(Trying to copy disk:/urt.log REPOSITORY doesn't appear to work).

You may also need to add the host key:

crypto host_key add host 1.2.3.4

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: