Views
Helpful
Replies

Port Security and Docking stations?

IS34lyf
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

We have a cisco cat2960x and port security configured. I connected a Microsoft Docking station and looked at the running config and there is the MAC address of the docking station. I set the port-sec maximum 2, one for the IP phone and one for the docking station. If i plug in a laptop to the docking station, it should trigger port-sec. but it did not. i tried another laptop sure enough the port is still active. Anyone know why? i assume the docking station is like any other switch?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @IS34lyf 

Your docking station probably supports MAC address passthrough, meaning it passes through the MAC address of the connected laptop. This would be why port security does not exceed 2 MAC addresses per port.

FYI, Cisco does not recommend 802.1x and Port security enabled on an interface at the sametime.

HTH

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hi @IS34lyf 

Your docking station probably supports MAC address passthrough, meaning it passes through the MAC address of the connected laptop. This would be why port security does not exceed 2 MAC addresses per port.

FYI, Cisco does not recommend 802.1x and Port security enabled on an interface at the sametime.

HTH