Helpful
Replies

Recommended UCS C220-M5 as SNS-3515 and SNS-3595

jcardana
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

please can you help me with the following questions:

1) Is it possible to sell the SNS-3515 or SNS3595 without software?

2) Which is the recommended UCS C220-M5 (CPUs, Memory,Disk) to have the same HW as SNS-3515 or SNS3595?

Thanks,

Joao Cardana

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Not sure why you’re doing this?

You either install ise on its dedicated appliance or run it in a VM

If your looking to install ise on bare UCS it’s not supported. You need an SNS appliance
To run ise

Or you can build up a bigger UCS and install ESX on it

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_01.html

View solution in original post

Again we are not UCS experts so we’re not going to advise-on at hardware accept for the specific SNS appliances . Please work with local experienced sales person or partner. This community is for technical questions and this is mainly a sales motion

After you have identified the platform would recommend building out a fresh system in parallel and testing it accordingly on ise 2.4 with latest patch . Then decommission the 1.2 system

Upgrade is not recommended since you will have to do a couple upgrades since 1.2 is so old and lots has changed

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Surendra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Joana,

I don’t think you will get a vanilla SNS appliance as they are made by adopter BU in this case SPA and they come with a pre-installed software based on the type of appliance. I’m not a 100% sure on this though.

Regarding the recommendation, it totally depends on the customer network and preferences. For more information on what kind of scaling that needs to be looked at for each appliance, please take a look at this https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-68347#jive_content_id_ISE_20_RADIUS_Performance

Jason Kunst
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Not sure why you’re doing this?

You either install ise on its dedicated appliance or run it in a VM

If your looking to install ise on bare UCS it’s not supported. You need an SNS appliance
To run ise

Or you can build up a bigger UCS and install ESX on it

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/ise/2-4/install_guide/b_ise_InstallationGuide24/b_ise_InstallationGuide24_chapter_01.html

Hi,

the customer has the follwoing deployement of ISE version 1.20.899 with 6,000 Users and wants to migrate to 2.x.

This current deployement is supported in 4xUCS C200-M2 servers with 4xVMs ISE-VM-K9 with Geo-Redundancy in this case 2 per site.

1) Customer wants to know which is the recommended UCS-C220 M5 to support such environment.

2) Based in the ISE Tool I verified that is necessary 2xSNS-3515, based on this I asked which is the recommended UCS Server

to support the 2xVMs to address these requirements.

3) Or if is it possible customer can order the SNS-3515 but without software.

Please, can you give me some guidance.

Thanks,

Joao Cardana

What is the difference between a pure UCS and SNS appliances? Just a signature in BIOS or something more?

signature BIOS specially tested. regardless ISE will only install on that or a VM

Hi,

so, based in the fololwing information about current instalation:

The customer has the follwoing deployement of ISE version 1.20.899 with 6,000 Users and wants to migrate to 2.x.
This current deployement is supported in 4xUCS C200-M2 servers with 4xVMs ISE-VM-K9 with Geo-Redundancy in this case 2 per site.

1) Customer wants to know which is the recommended UCS-C220 M5 to support such environment.
2) Based in the ISE Tool I verified that is necessary 2xSNS-3515, based on this I asked which is the recommended UCS Server
to support the 2xVMs to address these requirements.
3) Or if is it possible customer can order the SNS-3515 but without software?

Thanks,

Joao Cardana

Would recommend reaching out to UCS sales for what unit fits well. We provide the specifications in the ise guide listing so as long as it has needed to run ise vms and esx then you can go off that. We don’t advise on that.

For the appliances pretty sure you have to get the software and it comes on it. There is no discount or anything like that. So not sure what you’re trying to accomplish.

The software is licensed through the whole deployment.

Hi Jason,

the request is only to upgrade from 1.2 to 2.x and also the UCS Servers,

which is your advice?

Thanks,

Joao Cardana

Hi Jason,

the request is only to upgrade from 1.2 to 2.x and also the UCS Servers,

which is your advice? 

Thanks,

Joao Cardana

Again we are not UCS experts so we’re not going to advise-on at hardware accept for the specific SNS appliances . Please work with local experienced sales person or partner. This community is for technical questions and this is mainly a sales motion

After you have identified the platform would recommend building out a fresh system in parallel and testing it accordingly on ise 2.4 with latest patch . Then decommission the 1.2 system

Upgrade is not recommended since you will have to do a couple upgrades since 1.2 is so old and lots has changed