Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading Cisco Secure ACS 2.6

richgodfrey
Level 4
Level 4

This is what I want to do.

Upgrade Cisco Secure ACS 2.6.4.4 on WinNT to Version 3.3 on Win2K3. I am not interested in replicating my database, I will do a new install and re-build the database..

Now, I see you can buy an upgrade licence CSACS-3.3-WINUP-K9. What I want to do is download the trial version of 3.3 and activate it with this license. Is this possible? I don't want to have to go through the pain of doing all the intermediary upgrades and replications.

Is there an easier way? (obviously I don't want to have to pay for the full license since I already have ver 2.6.

Thanks,

Richard.

6 Replies 6

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi, here is the line from Cisco, i also need to do this as i have recently downloaded a trial of 3.3

Q. When I move from the 90-day trial version to the full, commercial version of Cisco Secure ACS for Windows, do I have to uninstall the trial version?

A. No, you can easily upgrade to the full, commercial version from the trial version without having to uninstall the trial version. All configuration settings, user and device data entered into the trial database will be maintained

Rgsd

Paddy

4jtaylor
Level 4
Level 4

Richard,

Did you ever find a solution for this without having to do the intermediary upgrades involved from going from 2.6.4 NT to 3.3 W2K3? I am faced with the same situation now but I need to keep my database.

Does anyone know of an easy way to do this?

Thanks,

Jack

Hi all

have you got an answer for this? We have a similar situation here, upgrading from v2.3 to v3.3 and trying to migrate the DB. But we're not sure if it can be done.

Thanks and regards Peter

Here the info I got from the TAC and the procedure I followed. They told me you couldn't upgrade directly from 2.6 to 3.3 so I didn't try it:

-----------

Problem Details:

We currently are running a licensed version of ACS 2.6(4) on a Windows NT 4.0 server. We purchased the upgrade to ACS 3.3 with the part #

CSACS-3.3-WINUP-K9. What is the easiest way to get from one to the other?

TAC Response:

Well , there is only one way to do it and it's a bit complicated

Take ACS backup , before you go ahead with upgrade procedure.

Assuming that , you will be installing ACS ver 3.3 on Windows 2000 server.

Step 1- Upgrade ACS ver 2.6.4 on NT 4 to 3.0.4 on the same box . (keep the database)

Step 2 - Build another Server with Windows 2000 running on it.

Step 3- Install ACS version 3.0.4 on newly built Windows 2000 server.

Step 4- Now that we have NT4 and Win2k both running ACS version 3.0.4 , we can take a backup from the NT4 ACS and restore it on Win2k ACS .

Step 5 -Once the database is restored, we can upgrade the new server from ACS ver 3.0.4 to 3.3 .

Step 6- If you intend to install ACS 3.3 on Windows 2003 server , we have build another server with Windows 2003 running on it . Install ACS 3.3 on Windows 2003

Step 7- Take a backup from ACS 3.3 on Win2k and restore it on ACS 3.3 on Windows 2003 .

---------

Version 3.04 wasn't on the available for download but if you open a case they will make available for you.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your response. In the mean time, I was on site and to my own surprise and against all expectations, a migration of the userDB v2.3 >> v3.3 was successful! I tried several ways and finally it was the v2.3 dump.txt file, which I imported to the v3.3 TACACS. (csutil -l)

Regards Peter

kris55s
Level 1
Level 1

Just purchase upgrade licence CSACS-3.3-WINUP-K9. I did the upgrade from 2.6 to 3.3 back in Dec. It is totally painless, no intermediary upgrades and you have the option to keep existing database.