Views
Helpful
Replies

10GBase-CU compatibility with Cisco 9407R catalyst C9400-SUP-1

Bhardwajp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We have Cisco 4506 with SUP Sup 8-E 10GE  and we are using the SUP 10 gig interface with 10GBase-CU 5M for the connectivity between Cisco 4506 CORE 1 and Cisco 4506 CORE 2.

We are planning to replace the Cisco 4506 with Cisco 9407R and want to confirm if 9407 C9400-SUP-1 module is compatible with 10GBase-CU 5M

Or as an option need to buy 10G SR SFP and use it for the connectivity between 9407 R core 1 and core 2 with multimode fibre cable.

please suggest

Thanks in advance

Regards

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

According to this: Optics Compatibility Matrix (cisco.com)

...the SUP-1 only supports up to a 2.5m H10GB-CU cable. It does however support 10G-SR mutlimode SFPs.

cheers,

Seb.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
as an option need to buy 10G SR SFP and use it for the connectivity between 9407 R core 1 and core 2 with multimode fibre cable.

i would suggested this since if they are in different cabinet, it is good you can use twinax cable in the same cabinet.

if you have 10SR SFP that is good to go with Multimode patch leads.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes and no.  

Cisco-branded optics are extremely "version-specific".  3rd party optics are supported in every software version.

Cisco-branded optics can trigger "special" bugs.

NOTE: Read between the lines. 

Let me reinforce what I am saying:  I have already seen and heard people using SFP-10G-T as early as 2019.  Cisco only released the Cisco-branded SFP-10G-T on August 2020 and can be supported on very specific minimum firmware version.