Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X OS upgrade path to 15.2.7.E4

ali007
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I am planning on upgrading OS for some 2960X switches however can;t seem to find the upgrade matrix. The switches are currently running on:

15.0(2a)EX5  
 15.2(2)E7 
15.2(2)E5 

Do I need to follow a particular path to go to  15.2.7.E4 or is this a straight upgrade.

kind regards,

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can upgrade to target version based on the exiting installation, is this archived images or .bin image

read the release notes : understand any caveats and bugs

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960x/software/15-2_7_e/release_notes/rn-1527e-2960x-xr.html

Note : always suggested to take backup config out of the box, if this stacked all images need to copy respected memmbers, upgrade required reboot, so do in maintenance window. ( upgrade is service intruptive)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- It's a straight upgrade

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

ali007
Level 1
Level 1

thanks  both of you and previously they have been upgraded using .bin  file.

Then it is easy,. Copy the new .bin file change the boot variable - save the config - reload and test it.

BB

ali007
Level 1
Level 1

thank you all for your help. just one more question:

how do I confirm if I should use .bin or .tar file?  some of the switches already have a .bin file but other have a image file with extension .E5.

is there a way to confirm this? or it doesn't matter how the switches OS was upgraded previously

you can see dir command

you see .bin in the flash, if it was installed tar you see directory/.bin file

show boot  - command help you.

BB

Hi mate,

I understand that but if its previously upgraded using .tar file, does it matter if I use .bin file to upgrade it this time? If not, do I need make any co figuration changes?

Kind regards,

- If you use the bin file only , you may use  the ability to perform web based management of the switch.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

For me, not a big difference, make sure you copy the bin file does no matter what is installed already, change the boot variable.

Note: if people are using any GUI on this device will not be able to get through. otherwise functional wise i do not see any difference.

BB

Hi,

I  need to upgrade OS for around 20 2960x switches but not sure whether I should use .bin or .tar file?  some of the switches already have a .bin file but other have a image file with extension .E5.

if there a way to confirm this? or it doesnt matter how the switches OS was upgraded previously.

kind regards,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card