cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

About Registering for Smart Licensing

Suzukikoki
Spotlight
Spotlight

Since the method of Smart Licensing Using Policy was changed, I am not sure which license to smart license.
For example, if it is the IP Base license of IOS-XE, it is implemented by default, so I can use the functions without registering for the smart license, but for the following models of NX-OS and IOS-XE, can I use some functions without registering for the smart license?

■N9K(NX-OS) System version: 9.3(8)
・LAN_ENTERPRISE_SERVICES_PKG(LAN license for Nexus 9300-XF)

■N3K(NX-OS) System version: 9.3(8)
・LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG

■ASR1001-X(IOS-XE) Version 17.3.6
・adventerprise
・interface_10g
・ipsec

For the time being, there is no problem if you know the information about the above license, but if you know any information that shows the list of the licenses that are implemented by default in IOS-XE and NS-OS (licenses that do not require smart license registration) and the licenses that are not implemented by default (licenses that require smart licensing), I would appreciate it if you could let me know.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

every device come with default License and Code of version based on the shipment.

Some device have latest code you can not role back to old one, some device come with non-stable code you need to upgrade to Latest stable code to fix security.

Depends on the BoM the hardware ship with License  - check ordering guide.

You can also manually add License when ever you required different tiers.

If the license is not the default license

i addressed above every device come with License based on the BoM order.

it will be necessary to replace the license when maintenance is replaced,

if i take this device replacement (RMA with new unit) - TAC can help you based on the license transfer to new device.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check below document if you like to use evolution mode or apply smart license using key :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/cisco-nexus-nx-os-smart-licensing-using-policy-user-guide/m-migrating-to-slp.html

on nexus you always need to use features to enable the feature you looking to use.

BB

Dear @balaji.bandi 

Thank you for you answer.
I appreciate that you kindly answered my difficult question.
I understand the procedure, but for example, if you have an IP-based license, it is enabled by default, so you don't need to register for a smart license to use the features, but what kind of license can you use without registering for a smart license?
Do you know if I need to register for the following?

・LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG

・adventerprise
・interface_10g
・ipsec

I understand the procedure, but for example, if you have an IP-based license, it is enabled by default, so you don't need to register for a smart license to use the features, but what kind of license can you use without registering for a smart license?
Do you know if I need to register for the following?

for your question YES and NO - some please want to track even they have perpetual they register with smart License (its not cost you anything, but you can track all License).

If this is offline - perpetual still working, not mandator to register smart License that device still works as expected.

BB

Hi @balaji.bandi 
I sincerely apologize for my late reply.
Thank you for your answer.

My way of asking the question was bad, so please let me change the question a little.

I would like to check if the following devices and licenses are installed by default.
There is no description in the data sheet, and I cannot understand it even with the show command of the actual machine.

If the license is not the default license, it will be necessary to replace the license when maintenance is replaced, so I need to know that information. Do you know that?

・LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG

・adventerprise
・interface_10g
・ipsec

every device come with default License and Code of version based on the shipment.

Some device have latest code you can not role back to old one, some device come with non-stable code you need to upgrade to Latest stable code to fix security.

Depends on the BoM the hardware ship with License  - check ordering guide.

You can also manually add License when ever you required different tiers.

If the license is not the default license

i addressed above every device come with License based on the BoM order.

it will be necessary to replace the license when maintenance is replaced,

if i take this device replacement (RMA with new unit) - TAC can help you based on the license transfer to new device.

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card