cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

acceptable interface saturation

Wan_Whisperer
Level 1
Level 1

What is acceptable interface saturation/utilization before an upgrade is needed?

The interface from my core router to my core switch is hitting about 50% utilization consistently. In the past, it was around 65% and I did not notice any issues. 

When does everyone recommend an upgrade to a new device?  (port channel is not possible)  

If you are in sales please do not reply, I am sure you will say now

-WW

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most cases we can go up to 80-85% - also possible use QoS (where required to minimise and priortise the traffic)

This is not only one device you need to look Entire network where the origin traffic source coming from ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most cases we can go up to 80-85% - also possible use QoS (where required to minimise and priortise the traffic)

This is not only one device you need to look Entire network where the origin traffic source coming from ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"What is acceptable interface saturation/utilization before an upgrade is needed?"

Very, very much an "it depends" answer.  Further, interface percentage usage often highly misunderstood.

Sometimes continuous 100% usage is just fine.  Sometimes low average usage is not fine. 

Going by general queuing theory, less that 1/3 usage is often fine.  Between 1/3 to 2/3 often okay.  Above 2/3, often congestion issues.

Again, though, what's good, or not, based on average utilization, is really, really variable.