Views
Helpful
Replies

Add user to ssh configured switch 3750

dpmon11
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

First of all apologies if I am repeating a discussion that has already been started but I could not find one related to my circumstance. And if I am in the wrong space please let me know which one to ask this question in, thank you.

I currently have a 3750 switch that is in production and had previously been setup with ssh and a username from the previous network admin. I would like to change to make it more generic but I am worried that the ssh session will be cut off and then I would not be able to remote in to change things. So I would like to add a username first with level 15 privilege and then erase the other user. Is there a way to do this without disrupting the function of the network on the switch.

I know the command to add a user is:

username BLAH privilege 15 password 7 PWD

Also, if the switch is stacked with other 3750's would I need to change the username one by one or will it be inherited?

Thank you for any guidance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!

The network is absolutely not impacted by performing changes on the users configured on the switch.

Also - when you have a Stack, you only configure it on the master switch (the one that is reachable over SSH) and that is enough.

Let me know if you need more help.

Best regards
Julian

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

julian.bendix
Level 3
Level 3

Hi!

The network is absolutely not impacted by performing changes on the users configured on the switch.

Also - when you have a Stack, you only configure it on the master switch (the one that is reachable over SSH) and that is enough.

Let me know if you need more help.

Best regards
Julian

For those that have the same situation, since I already had users that had encryption I had to add the new user as:

username Blah privilege 15 password 0 PWD

the 0 for password is important because if you try the same password encryption from the preconfigured users, you will get an error message.

Thanks to all that helped!

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

keep the existing username and password as it is.

create a new one as per the requirement and test it, and remove the old username  (once new one working as expected)

When the switch in the stack ( the configuration will be stored in the MAster device and it will be replicated automatically to other members)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: