cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding new VLAN

gcook0001
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of adding some new vlans to our network. I know on my switches I can add the new vlans to the port channels and not have an issue with the channel dropping. Is this the same for the Firepower firewalls. I am using two 1140s in HA managed by FMC. I don't have a way to test this without scheduling an outage which I would prefer not to if it isn't necessary. If the firewalls behave like the switches I can add the new vlan to the port channel at each end without disrupting traffic. I would just like to verify that is the case.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hi, there is no reconvergence or port bonusing when adding new vlan interface to firewall port channel. you can just add it. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

can you share logical diagram how devices are connected. if your VLANs using FW as default gateway point, you can add new VLAN interface to FW inside interface (or any interface where network is terminating). if your firewall have port channel and using that as a gateway to VLANs, you can add new VLAN interfaces to portchanel. 

Good luck
KB

gcook0001
Level 1
Level 1

I know I can add the vlan to the port channel. That isn't the issue. I just want to make sure that when I add the new vlan it is not going to force the port channel to reconverge and I will lose traffic on that channel while it is doing it. I know I can do it on my switches but I haven't done it on my firewalls yet.

hi, there is no reconvergence or port bonusing when adding new vlan interface to firewall port channel. you can just add it. 

Good luck
KB

Thanks. That is what I thought but I have no way to test to make sure. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: