cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ANI discovery problem

jcook
Level 1
Level 1

ANI seems to have trouble discovering 2 particular msfcs amongst about 20 that are being discovered properly. All pertinent configs are identical between the 20 msfcs that are OK and the 2 that are not (i.e. cdp & snmp enabled).

A couple of differences to note between these two and the other 20 are:

1. they are the only ones running decnet routing.

2. when I issue a "show cdp nei detail" from the switch console, the entry for the msfc show an IP address of 127.0.0.12. None of the other 6500/msfc exhibit this behaviour. Here is a sample of the output from sh cdp nei detail:

Port (Our Port): 15/1

Device-ID: XXX1MSFCA

Device Addresses:

IP Address: 127.0.0.12

Holdtime: 155 sec

Capabilities: ROUTER TRANSPARENT_BRIDGE

Version:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) MSFC Software (C6MSFC-DSV-M), Version 12.1(8a)E2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac

Copyright (c) 1986-2001 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Fri 03-Aug-01 08:40 by hqluong

Platform: cisco Cat6k-MSFC

Port-ID (Port on Neighbors's Device): Vlan2

VTP Management Domain: unknown

Native VLAN: unknown

Duplex: unknown

System Name: unknown

System Object ID: unknown

Management Addresses: unknown

Physical Location: unknown

As a workaround I put these two msfcs in as seed devices and although they were discovered, one of them shows up as device unknown.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

hgru
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

For me sometimes it helps to delete faulty discovered devices in Campus manager (from the map for example) and that choose to rediscover the neighborgs (via the map for example)

p.calcaterra
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, your problem is caused by CDP and there is a discussion about in the "LAN, Switching e Routing" section.

Please look for the topic "Cat6500 IOS: cdp neighbors on trunk without vlan 1"

Regards. Paolo C.

miheg
Level 5
Level 5

It's too bad that cisco doesn't wish to say how a cdp decides what IP goes into the CDP packet. When you ask for the specs they tell you they won't give you because it is not an RFC.

So maybe this 127.0.0.12 address is a bug in the IOS. But it is hard to say what triggers the bug on these 2 MSFC's and not on the other.

I've seen boxes giving 2 ip's in the CDP packets, you can imaging what that does for discovery.(NOT a bus says TAC)

But the combination of not knowing how cdp works and not knowing how Campus makes it's topology decisions makes it very hard to troubleshoot.

Michel

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card