cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 information

ElQueue
Level 1
Level 1

I'm considering upgrading our networks with a dedicated firewall solution and have learned a lot about the features of the ASA 5510. However, it appears (and correct me if I'm wrong) that it functions like a router in that the interfaces on each side have their feet in different subnets, so that could cause issues in my current network configuration. If this is so, is there a way to get the ASA to filter/scan packets in a way that would function similar to a switch (in that packets come in to the outside interface, get processed, then the remaining traffic gets sent out to the inside interface)? Or another appliance that does similar functions?

I'm still learning about the appliance so any information would be greatly appreciated, so that I can make an appropriate decision regarding purchasing equipment.

Thanks for your time.

3 Replies 3

jfnk
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The last part of your description ("packets come in to the outside interface, get processed, then the remaining traffic gets sent out to the inside interface") is what an ASA does.  In this sense it does indeed function like a router, but with additional Access Control Lists that are used to filter and make decisions on whether or not to route.  Traditionally such filtering takes place at layer-3 (IP addresses, protocols and ports) but newer "Next Generation" appliances (55nn-X) can analyse traffic at higher layers and make decisions based on content, file type, application, username etc.

Cheers

Jeremy

Right, but from the sounds of it, the ASA routes packets through it which would cause issues with my setup. If this isn't avoidable, I'll try to explain the topography so maybe you have a solution.

Business cable router to ISP <-> ASA < - > Core switch < - > Multiple VLANs servicing subnets

I have 1 IP which the cable router PATs to a Class C subnet. Currently there is no ASA, so the Core switch subnets and performs L3 routing between them (multiple /28 and one /25 subnet). If I were to place the ASA in there, the internal interface would have to be on a different subnet than the cable router, breaking PAT. And double-PAT has its own problems that I don't t want to tackle if I don't have to.

I'm not familiar with that kind of setup, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding, but if the switch is handling the L3 routing does it not have an IP address that faces externally, with the next hop being the cable router?  l'm just trying to picture how the flow works in a bit more detail

Thanks