cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Assigning an IP to an Access Port

sleepless swan
Level 1
Level 1

I have a testing environment in which there is a server and a PC that are connected to a switch and would like to connect them to manage the server from the PC.

I put both ports in the same VLAN. I assigned a static IP on the server's management network, and I tried to assign an IP to the port connected to the PC so they're in the same subnet. However, it is not possible to assign an IP to an access port as I understand. I managed to put them in the same subnet by creating a DHCP pool, but I think it is not good practice to do DHCP for management VLANs.

The only other way I know is to configure a static IP from Windows settings, but I don't have administrator access as it's a company PC and it can take a while to get the ICT department to fix things. Is there any other way to assign a static IP to the PC or shall I keep the DHCP for now?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

use static IP in server 
use DHCP with static IP mapped 
DHCP - Static Mapping - Cisco

this way both PC and Server have static IP 

View solution in original post

Putting both ports in the same VLAN is an excellent first step. Assigning a static IP to the server is quite appropriate. Yes you are correct that you can not assign an IP address to an access port - and if you could it would do you no good. Where the IP address needs to be assigned is to the PC not to the access port. And DHCP is a very appropriate way to assign the IP to the PC.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

use static IP in server 
use DHCP with static IP mapped 
DHCP - Static Mapping - Cisco

this way both PC and Server have static IP 

Putting both ports in the same VLAN is an excellent first step. Assigning a static IP to the server is quite appropriate. Yes you are correct that you can not assign an IP address to an access port - and if you could it would do you no good. Where the IP address needs to be assigned is to the PC not to the access port. And DHCP is a very appropriate way to assign the IP to the PC.

HTH

Rick

I am glad that our suggestions have been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card