cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Attempting to use SNMP v3 between 2900 router and SpiceWorks

mat_rouch
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to set up snmp v3 monitoring of my 2900 series routers from the third party Spiceworks utility.  My snmp config on the router looks like this:

SNMP-Server view Westv3View internet included

SNMP-Server group Westv3Group v3 priv Read Westv3View

SNMP-Server user Westv3User Westv3Group v3 auth MD5 <password1>  priv DES <password1>

In SpiceWorks my network account looks like this:

Type: SNMPV3

Description: network-snmpv3

Login: authPriv:md5:des:Westv3User

Password: <password1>

I have set the logging level on the 2900 router to informational and see no errors of any kind popping up when I try to scan the router from SpiceWorks.  Spiceworks just returns a generic "unable to contact host" message.

Anyone managed to make this kind of setup work in the past?

Thanks,

-Mat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do a "show snmp" before your SpiceWorks scan.  After the scan do another one and check if you see the incoming packet counter increment.  If not, something is blocking the SNMP traffic from arriving on the device. You can also check further with SNMP debugs on the device to see if packets are getting there:

term mon

debug snmp packets

Alternatively,  I would suggest testing a basic SNMPv3 authentication/encryption as some tools have issues with levels of encryption, i.e.

snmp-server view Westv3View iso included

snmp-server group Westv3Group v3 auth read Westv3View

snmp-server user Westv3User Westv3Group v3 auth md5 12345678

A walk to the above shows fine:

C:\usr\bin>snmpwalk -v3 -l authNoPriv -u Westv3User -a md5 -A 12345678 10.198.28.68 sysObjectID

SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.576

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Do a "show snmp" before your SpiceWorks scan.  After the scan do another one and check if you see the incoming packet counter increment.  If not, something is blocking the SNMP traffic from arriving on the device. You can also check further with SNMP debugs on the device to see if packets are getting there:

term mon

debug snmp packets

Alternatively,  I would suggest testing a basic SNMPv3 authentication/encryption as some tools have issues with levels of encryption, i.e.

snmp-server view Westv3View iso included

snmp-server group Westv3Group v3 auth read Westv3View

snmp-server user Westv3User Westv3Group v3 auth md5 12345678

A walk to the above shows fine:

C:\usr\bin>snmpwalk -v3 -l authNoPriv -u Westv3User -a md5 -A 12345678 10.198.28.68 sysObjectID

SNMPv2-MIB::sysObjectID.0 = OID: SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.1.576

Got it.  I had control-plane management defined on the router and had not added snmp to the list of allowed protocols.  The packets were getting to the router but being dropped there.  Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

-Mat