cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best practice for choosing how many sensors you need

George-Sl
Level 1
Level 1

So I configured this Net Monitoring tool and I added all ports(mostly access layer/user ports/FEX) from all devices we have, and they are at 2400 in total right now, is that normal? Do I have to monitor each port? or should I just monitor the transit links/Uplinks/device health only???!

What is the best practice out there to monitor everything or to just monitor the crucial parts?

Thank you so much

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/recommended_sensors

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

So thanks for the comment, but this is not about a particular software,

say we have a campus consisted of 5 gigantic high rises, should we monitor every single port?

idk the best practice regarding that honestly...

> What is the best practice out there to monitor everything or to just monitor the crucial parts?

- There is no unique answer to that question. It will be different per organisation requirements, usually you will monitor the backbone network and  links, including redundancy. User-port status depend on importance of attached servers,  but then application monitoring is more useful because they will far earlier signal problems before a server is hard-down, if that happens at all when an application hangs.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '