Views
Helpful
Replies

Campus Manager 5.2 User Tracking missing Ip Address

nizar.houichi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have installed Cisco LMS 3.2 on Windows 2008 Server. My Customer have a pix firewall that make the inter-vlan routing. So when i added all the switch to the campus manager, and i launch the user tracking acquistion, i see all the end hosts with their mac address and their ports but without their Ip address. I found that i have to add the default router to my DCR, but here i have a pix that is not supported by the Cisco LMS. Please, how can to resolve this problem.

Thank you in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Doesn't seems much of the solution to it as LMS depends on the Router for the IP address!

The Campus Manager User Tracking works as follows: it uses SNMP to go and get the MAC table from the switch, then saves it, afterwards, it goes to

acquire the ARP table from the router, in order to get IP addresses for the end users and associate them with the MAC addresses, lastly, it goes to the

DNS server to get the hostname for this end user.

You can try to add a dummy router on your network not doing routes, let you ASA do whatever it is doing, but the necesary ARP information will be accessible from the Router and you can get the IP add from the device.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

Hi,

FWSM, ASA, and PIX devices are not supported by Campus Manager since   they do not support CDP.  Therefore, UT will not be able to use them  as  routers to get ARP data.

Here is an alternative that Sir Joseph Clarke suggest for FWSm, the concept of shadow router.

Kindly have a look at this thread too.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3156083#3156083

Hope it helps too.

Thanks & Regards

Gaganjeet

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Doesn't seems much of the solution to it as LMS depends on the Router for the IP address!

The Campus Manager User Tracking works as follows: it uses SNMP to go and get the MAC table from the switch, then saves it, afterwards, it goes to

acquire the ARP table from the router, in order to get IP addresses for the end users and associate them with the MAC addresses, lastly, it goes to the

DNS server to get the hostname for this end user.

You can try to add a dummy router on your network not doing routes, let you ASA do whatever it is doing, but the necesary ARP information will be accessible from the Router and you can get the IP add from the device.

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hi,

FWSM, ASA, and PIX devices are not supported by Campus Manager since   they do not support CDP.  Therefore, UT will not be able to use them  as  routers to get ARP data.

Here is an alternative that Sir Joseph Clarke suggest for FWSm, the concept of shadow router.

Kindly have a look at this thread too.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3156083#3156083

Hope it helps too.

Thanks & Regards

Gaganjeet