cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can PI 3.1 dynamically learn wired client's IP Addresses?

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

Hello

I'm using PI 3.1.0.0.132 and was looking to get dynamic user tracking working for wired clients.

PI is configured to "Poll clients when client traps/syslogs received" and the switches are configured to send mac notification traps to PI.

When a wired client connects to a switch, the mac of the client dynamically appears in the PI client and users page but with no IP Address. The IP address for the client is only populated when PI does its 2 hourly wired client polling.

LMS 4.x could dynamically get the IP address of a client from the switch's dhcp snooping binding tables. I have dhcp snooping configured on the switches (same config worked with LMS 4.x).

Is there anyway for PI 3.1 to learn the IP of a wired device dynamically or can it only learn IP addresses during the scheduled polling?

Thanks
Andy

1 Reply 1

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

LMS 4 documentation below states:

"Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) snooping is a security feature that filters untrusted DHCP message received from outside the network or Firewall, and builds and maintains a DHCP snooping binding table.
LMS queries the CISCO-DHCP-SNOOPING-MIB to get the IP address of the end-host connected"

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4-2/user/guide/admin/admin/ut_du.html#marker-1055187

I contacted TAC who confirmed that PI doesn't use this method - instead PI uses the (default) 2 hourly polling to get the client's IP Address

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: