cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can someone tell me the differences between SUP8e hardware versions?

ab23
Level 1
Level 1

We have a bunch of 4500 switches and a mix of Sup8e, Sup8le, and Sup7e. We have some SUP8e's that are hardware version 1.2 and some are 1.3. We seem to be having an issue with some of the 1.2 versions that don't happen on the 1.3 versions. Is there a datasheet anywhere that can tell me the differences between the two or what the 1.2 isn't capable of doing? Specifically, we're having issues with the web redirection for byod devices with ISE. It works fine on the 1.3 cards, but the 1.2 cards it's just hanging on redirection. 

M  Hw Fw                 Sw               Status
--+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------
1  1.3 15.1(1r)SG17 03.11.03a.E Ok

M Hw Fw                Sw               Status
--+--------------------------------+---+------------+----------------+---------
5  1.2 15.1(1r)SG5 03.11.03a.E Ok

9 Replies 9

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To my knowledge, different hardware versions for the same "logical" component, should matter, at least to functions.

If you can really show an issue on version 1.2 that's not on version 1.3, and if you have a Cisco support contract, contact TAC.

In the past, when there are problems related to the physical hardware, under contract, Cisco should replace it.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i am not much worried about HW version, i see in the different environment have different version, never seen any impact of operation ? do you see any impact. that should work as expected 1.2 or 1.3

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... Specifically, we're having issues with the web redirection

It is quite unlikely that this is related to the hardware versions of the module , much more indicative is the different IOS version(s)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

It's running the same 3.11.03 IOS version. 

@ab23 wrote:

It's running the same 3.11.03 IOS version. 

No, it is not.  The Sup8e are running 3.11.3a.  3.11.3 and 3.11.3a are not the same.  3.11.3a (with a "letter" at the end) means it is a "re-build" of 3.11.3.  This means that something really bad was found in the main 3.11.3 and a "re-build" had to be made. 

Personally, I would never use re-builds because it is usually riddled with more bugs that was previously fixed in the main release.

>...It's running the same 3.11.03 IOS version. 

Yeah , in the outputs one showed ....SG17  . and the other ...SG5 , but that is related to different ROMMON version , you may want to sync  that too.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade the firmware and the ROMMON.

(HW 1.2 is still on 15.1(1r)SG5.)

Hello,

--> we're having issues with the web redirection for byod devices with ISE

Can you post a screenshot ?

>....we're having issues with the web redirection for byod devices with ISE

- What are the issues ? -> Check the ISE logs too when analyzing this problem.

M>