Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 851W Initial Setup: SDM Wizard Fails

ifaragher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, I couldn't figure out what this should go under. I bought a Cisco 851W router from a coworker about a year ago and tried setting it up at my home with nothing but headaches. I finally gave up and went with DD-WRT and have yet to look back (my $40 router outperforms this thing on so many levels, but I'm getting off-topic!).

I recently re-discovered this beast and pulled it out of storage to see if I could get a test network setup at home to practice on. I checked for any IOS updates and downloaded (and installed) the lastest image (c850-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T15.bin). I consoled in and verified the initial 10.10.10.1 IP was configured in the VLAN1 interface and directly connected a PC to one of the switchports and pulled a 10.10.10.2 address. I pull up SDM from my browser (I have used FF, IE, and Chrome, all with the same results. Java version is the latest, 6 Update 26.) and it launches the initial configuration wizard. I go through the steps and get up to the DHCP Configuration (after LAN, before Internet/WAN setup) and try to click Next and nothing happens. It doesn't freeze as I can easily go Back, but can never move forward beyond the DHCP configuration. Pressing Cancel on the wizard just shuts down SDM as a whole and exits.

In my troubleshooting steps, I did notice that as soon as I click Next in the DHCP configuration, nothing will happen in the wizard, but the SDM window in the background will automatically present the "Apply Changes" and "Discard Changes" buttons, which weren't there in the previous steps. Of course, neither of those are clickable due to the wizard being open.

I really don't want to configure this thing from scratch using the CLI if I don't have to..... is there ANY way I can bypass the SDM Wizard at all? Also, I'm running SDM Express, would downloading ASDM and trying to connect from there make any difference? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Ian-

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't loose time with GUIs and wizards that only produce bad results.

Use CLI and you will have the cisco outperform the $40 one.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card