Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco cml hardware requirements

grenhuck
Level 1
Level 1

Hi members,

I have a laptop with the following hardware specifications: i5 1035g1 ( 4 cores 8 threads ) 16 Gb ram I want to run cml on the laptop with personal licence ( under 20 nodes ) and I have a couple of questions. Your advice is appreciated

The minimum requirement says 4 physical cores are needed. Does that mean if anything less than 4 physical cores, the vm machine won’t spin up?

2 the cpu can assign a maximum of 32 Vcpu right? ( 4 cores x 8 threads).

3 is my laptop good enough for running cml ? I’m looking to run some iosv iosvl2 dhcp/aaa server.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check here minimum requirement : (there is statement important)

https://developer.cisco.com/docs/modeling-labs/system-requirements/

3 is my laptop good enough for running cml ? I’m looking to run some iosv iosvl2 dhcp/aaa server.

IOL can run easily on that mentioned specs - AAA Server not sure (if you looking to run ISE, that is requirement you need to look based on the ISE deployment - it required higher CPU and RAM, HDD)

With your specs you can run decent Lower end Labs with IOL

If you looking to run NEXUS, IOS XR, CSR1000(more notes) - SD_WAN Lab suggest more resource, same document mentioned what is the requirement of each node.

https://developer.cisco.com/docs/modeling-labs/faq/#reference-platform-and-images-questions

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

antisocial11224
Level 1
Level 1

@grenhuck wrote:

Hi members,

I have a laptop with the following hardware specifications: i5 1035g1 ( 4 cores 8 threads ) 16 Gb ram I want to run cml on the laptop with personal licence ( under 20 nodes ) and I have a couple of questions. Your advice is appreciated

The minimum requirement says 4 physical cores are needed. Does that mean if anything less than 4 physical cores, the vm machine won’t spin up?

2 the cpu can assign a maximum of 32 Vcpu right? ( 4 cores x 8 threads).

Thanks

The minimum requirement of 4 physical cores is met by your processor, allowing the VM to spin up smoothly. Additionally, your CPU can assign a maximum of 32 vCPUs, given its 4 cores and 8 threads. Therefore, you have sufficient processing power to handle running IOSv, IOSvL2, DHCP, and AAA servers concurrently. Overall, your laptop appears to be suitable for running CML and should provide a satisfactory experience for your networking needs.

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

The Intel i5 1035G1 CPU has a total of 8 threads, 2 per each of the 4 cores, not 8 threads x 4 cores. Generally speaking, it is 2 threads per x86 core, but the specs of the CPU should be checked to confirm.

If this laptop is going to be dedicated to CML, running Type 1 hypervisor (ESXi) or bare-metal, you might have enough resources for trivial labs. OTOH, if you are going to run Windows on the laptop and use a Type 2 hypervisor (Workstation Player) to host the CML VM, you will not be happy as Windows will consume CPU and RAM leaving less for CML.

Avoid frustration and use either a cloud-based CML service, or run CML on your own platform that has at least 8 cores (= 16 threads) and 64GB RAM. 16 cores and 128GB or 256GB would be much better (get as much RAM as you can afford).

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO