Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Hairpinning for VPN Users - limit public IP's

tladd0001
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

With everyone now working at home, I have several end users connecting to our network using Cisco AnyConnect.  We have disabled split tunneling, and users are making a lot of noise about the inconvenience of having to disconnect the VPN in order to connect to a couple of Internet sites.

If I turn on hairpinning on the outside interface, how can I control it so that it works for only a couple of specific public IP addresses?  I don't want all Internet traffic being routed through this interface.  Can I simply create a NAT rule for the outside interface to the public IP addresses I need?

What is the best approach?  What commands are necessary?  We are running ASA version 9.8.  I also have ASDM 7.8.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

1 Reply 1

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You men you want to give them access to only few/specific Internet resources? The best way to achieve this is via an integration with a web proxy servers, you do the policies there. If you don't have this, you could use twice NAT and allow NAT to happen only for specific destinations. Like for example:

same-security-traffic permit intre-interface

nat (outside,outside) source dynamic ABC interface destination static XYZ XYZ

in ABC object you define the VPN pool

in XYZ object you define the allowed Internet resources that users can access

Regards,

Cristian Matei.