cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime and Syslog events

Jay_F
Level 1
Level 1

Perhaps i'm being dull but theres not a lot of information out there on collecting syslog events, maybe because its really easy. I'm not sure I understand the concept here in Prime, my question is, out of the box is prime set up as a syslog server? i'm using version 3.2 and see under administration > logging > syslog logging options that there is an option to enable syslog - if I enable this (what I presume you need to do), what is the syslog host address? - is this the address of my prime box ? and what is syslog facility?

Presuming I do the above I would think I would then have to set up the following on the switches themselves?: 

logging <ip address of prime server?>

logging trap <severity of the event i want to trap>

If this is correct what is the purpose of:

Monitor > Alarms and Events

as I get the impression that others think these are syslog events.

Sorry for my confusion and hope someone can explain.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Hello @Jay_F

You are right for all your assumptions.

About your questions, Prime support all the possible 8 facility.

The configuration for end devices would be the same for any analog server.

When you choose Monitor > Monitoring Tools > Alarms & Events , then click any of the tabs at the top of the page ( Alarms , Events , or Syslogs )

Alarm and Events is related to SNMP protocol and will be registered if device is added to Prime by using SNMP community.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

ok but could you then explain the purpose of Administration / Settings / Logging > syslog logging options ? is this so that you can log syslog events away from the Prime server? i.e a third party syslog server?

Exactly. If you want to forward alarms to another system, use the Administration Logging settings.

When you want to collect alarms from devices, just like you said, just set the configuration to point to the Prime server.