Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime HA configuration

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have Cisco Prime which I have recently upgraded to 3.2.2 and its a Primary node. I want to install another Prime in HA in a VM. In setup, do I have to defined this node as Secondary or not. Before doing HA i have to bring my Secondary node to version 3.2.2 from based VM image 3.2 and for the patch upgrade I have to disable HA configuration. Please assist me how I can bring secondary device in HA from Secondary Prime 3.2 to 3.2.2 so It can join Primary Prime 3.2.2 in HA.

8 Replies 8

pieterh
VIP
VIP

from the release notes:

--Note Prime Infrastructure 3.2.2 can be applied only in primary and secondary standalone servers.

-- For more details, see Remove HA Via the GUI in the Cisco Prime Infrastructure3.2 Administrator Guide

if they where allready an HA pair you need to

1. Follow the steps in “Remove HA Via the GUI” (see Related Topics) to disconnect the primary and secondary servers.
  2. Follow the steps in “How to Patch New HA Servers” to apply the patch.
  3. Follow the steps in “Set Up High Availability” to restore your HA configuration.

as this is a new HA setup you can skip step-1 from above

So the second node 

1) you install as stand-alone node version 3.2 no HA config necessary

2) then apply the patch to 3.2.2 

3) last, add as HA-member to the existing primary node

wait till the database is synced.

Hi,

In setup when turn on the VM. It ask is this a secondary node. If i select yes then it will ask me to type authentication key which will be used on primary prime as well for HA. If i select no so this prime server will also become primary. Can i change the server role later on. I have to install prime 3.2 VM first then upgrade to patch 3.2.2 then enable HA with virtual IP.

How to Install the HA Secondary Server

If your primary server has been patched, be sure to apply the same patches to your secondary server after installation and before registering HA on the primary server.

before step 4c you need to install the patches

Procedure

Step 1

Begin installing the Prime Infrastructure server software on your secondary server just as you would for a primary server. For instructions on installing the server, see the Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.1 Quick Start Guide.

Step 2

During the installation, you will be prompted as follows:

Will this server be used as a secondary for HA? (yes/no)

Enter yes at the prompt.

Step 3

You will then be prompted for the HA authentication key, as follows:

Enter Authentication Key:

Enter the authentication key at the prompt. Enter it again at the confirmation prompt.

Step 4

When the secondary server is installed:

1. Use the CLI show version command on both servers, to verify that they are at the same version and patch level (see “Check Prime Infrastructure Version and Patch Status”).

2. Run the ncs status command to verify that all processes are up and running on the secondary server (see “Check Prime Infrastructure Server Status”).

3. Register HA on the primary server (see “How to Register HA on the Primary Server”).

Hi i wil update on the thread once perform this activity. Thank you for steps.

Hi After Step 3 . Orime will competly installed and gui will be accessible ? How much time usually take to install prime and creating database?

Hi,

Server has been installed but GUI is not coming of secondary.

Here what I did

1) Install Prime VM as Secondary

2) Set Authentication Key

3) From Primary Prime I can access through health monitor page to Secondary Prime because GUI of Secondary Prime is not accessible in HA mode like the Primary one  Please correct me If I am wrong here).

4) from Administration - > High Availablity ( click Health Monitor on right top) put Authentication Key to access the page.

5) Click Software Update on the right top and then it will ask for Auth Key again.

6) From here you can upload patch files and you can Install it.

7) Secondary Prime Server is now up to date as Prime Primary.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card