Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 - Maintenance Release

Jozef Cmorej
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

a customer has installed a Lifecycle traditional license, CPI runs the version 3.1. We would like to upgrade to the version 3.1.3.

According to Cisco, CPI 3.1.3 supports token-based licensing model for Lifecycle and Assurance licenses. The license consumption is based on token weight per device type.

CPI 3.1.3 supports generation of a one-time grandfathered license file for managing the existing devices without the need to buy additional licenses. This special privilege is provided to the existing customers as a one-time activity upon installation of Prime Infrastructure 3.1.3 update.

Could anyone of you advise me the way how to obtain such a license?

Thanks a lot.

Jozef

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no need to change the license type if your existing licenses cover your managed devices.

I have upgraded three separate PI 3.x installations to 3.1.3 without changing the license type.

If you want or need to do so, then open a TAC case requesting licensing support and the licensing team will take care of it for you.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's no need to change the license type if your existing licenses cover your managed devices.

I have upgraded three separate PI 3.x installations to 3.1.3 without changing the license type.

If you want or need to do so, then open a TAC case requesting licensing support and the licensing team will take care of it for you.

Hi Marvin,

thanks a lot for your reply. No, we do not want to change the license type. I just wanted to make sure that the current lifecycle license for the specific number of devices will remain the same without any change to token-based license type.

Regards,

Jozef

Confirmed - no change is required at this time.

Please mark your question as answered if it has been.

Since the upgrade to 3.1.3 my prime has as much tokens as it had lifecycle licenses before, but some devices, especially Nexus 7K, require a lot more that one token.

Now the amount of tokens is not sufficient to license all my managed devices - how I generate this one-time license file to handle this situation?

Before the upgrade of cause not all licenses were in use, so how to handle this? Lets assume I had 10 unsed licenses. To manage 10 2960x, 10 tokens would be sufficient - but 10 Nexus 5K require 70 tokens and 10 Nexus 7K even 140 tokens.
In the Release Notes only "existing devices" are mentioned - are all my formerly unused / "safed for future use" licenses worthless?

According to Cisco TAC, there is a difference whether the licenses come from CPI 3.0 or from an earlier release of CPI.

If these are CPI 3.0 licenses, then you will retain the same amount of the licenses. However, if these are licenses from an earlier release of CPI, then the total will be adjusted to cover any extra licenses needed to cover devices that require more than one license token.
When the system is upgraded, the grandfathering task will automatically run, and adjust the total as needed.

As I have successfully upgraded CPI to the version 3.1.3 (the licenses came from the former Cisco Works and then CPI 2.0), they have been automatically migrated to token-based model but the total number total has been be adjusted to cover any extra licenses needed to cover all customer’s devices that require more than one license token. Therefore now I can see the total number of 5 713 tokens available (5 000 devices before the upgrade).

Thanks for your post - exactly that adjustment of licenses did not happen while I upgraded.