Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime sync issue

Hello,

We have an issue with the cisco prime infrastructure, it's not syncing the mac addresses to the controllers.

This issue didn't occurred after maintenance nor after configuration changing 

Ver: Cisco Application Deployment Engine OS Release: 2.0
ADE-OS Build Version: 2.0.6.003-px-build
ADE-OS System Architecture: x86_64
Version : 2.0.0.0.294

screenshot attached

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Assuming you have the resources in your virtualization infrastructure, here's the best way to do it:

2.0 to 2.1 is an inline upgrade.

For 2.2, deploy a brand new VM and then restore the 2.1 backup onto it.

For 3.0, deploy a brand new VM and then restore the 2.2 backup onto it.

To mitigate your risk: In addition to the application level configuration and data backups, I'd recommend taking a snapshot of the VM at each stage. That way reverting to the old version in the event of a problem is as easy as restoring the entire VM from snapshot.

Once you have migrated onto 3.0 (and applied inline upgrade to bring it to the current point release - 3.0.2 and Device Pack 2 as of now) and confirmed everything is working fine, you can delete the old VMs.

If anything is still not working with the latest 3.0, then a TAC case is in order.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You're many patch levels behind running 2.0.0.0.294. That was the first issue of a major new release - never a good idea for production deployments.

I'd definitely recommend upgrade to the latest 2.x release with the latest device pack (currently 2.2.3 and device pack 9).

There were numerous bug fixes between what you have and the current 2.x version. For instance:

CSCus73366

Unable to sync WLCs due to SNMP transport in credential table.

...was fixed in 2.2.1

Hi Marvin,

First of all , Thanks .

Can you help me find out the :

1- Download version/patch links

2- Upgrade procedure

3- Does that latest version support all end WLC versions or do we have to upgrade also the end WLC versions ?

And again , Thanks .

Assuming you have a support contract and it's linked to your cisco.com userid, you can find the upgrade files here: 

https://software.cisco.com/download/navigator.html?mdfid=284145020&flowid=72882

Upgrading to 2.2 + is a bit complicated. From 2.0, you first have to upgrade to 2.1.0.0.87, backup the system and then deploy a new 2.2 system and restore the backup configuration / data onto it.

Details are here: 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-2/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#pgfId-113783

If you are running on a VM (and not the Gen 1 hardware appliance) you can go all the way to 3.0. The older hardware appliances can only go to 2.2.

Compatibility guides for the various supported devices are all listed here:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/products-device-support-tables-list.html

Thanks

Hi,

we are indeed running on a VM - however, how do I deduce whether I am on the Gen1 hardware appliance?

It's one or the other. A virtual machine runs on the ESXi hypervisor host hardware. The appliance is a 'bare metal' server (Cisco-branded IBM server) that runs ADE-OS directly without a hypervisor. 

The older hardware does not have the required resources (memory etc.) to run PI 3.x. A VM can simply have additional resources allocated by the hypervisor. 

Hi,

Just to make sure if I understood you correctly :

If I have 2.0.0.0.294 version , the path for VM would be like this :

2.0.0.0.294 > 2.1.0.0.87 > 2.2 > 3.0

and on every hop we need to do backup .

- And another question : if its VM .. is it better to do a "clone" to the VM prime appliance , and then proceed with the upgrade ?

- Is there any risks we should know before proceeding the upgrade 

- If the upgrade didn't solve the problem , then we need to open case to cisco or there is some troubleshooting commands that helps in figuring out the problem ?

Assuming you have the resources in your virtualization infrastructure, here's the best way to do it:

2.0 to 2.1 is an inline upgrade.

For 2.2, deploy a brand new VM and then restore the 2.1 backup onto it.

For 3.0, deploy a brand new VM and then restore the 2.2 backup onto it.

To mitigate your risk: In addition to the application level configuration and data backups, I'd recommend taking a snapshot of the VM at each stage. That way reverting to the old version in the event of a problem is as easy as restoring the entire VM from snapshot.

Once you have migrated onto 3.0 (and applied inline upgrade to bring it to the current point release - 3.0.2 and Device Pack 2 as of now) and confirmed everything is working fine, you can delete the old VMs.

If anything is still not working with the latest 3.0, then a TAC case is in order.

Hi Marvin, Can you help me with thing . Can you help us find the links to the appropriate versions to download ? how to find if its Pro, Standard , express ?

All the information can be found on the PI Product Support page here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/cloud-systems-management/prime-infrastructure/tsd-products-support-series-home.html

The "Download Software" link will take you to the downloads page.

The "Release Notes" and "Install and Upgrade Guides" links will give you detailed instructions on the upgrade process.

Thank you :)

So what i understand for ESXi 5.5 running on 12GB of RAM and 4 CPUs, which translates to Express .

Now for upgrading all we need is the .ova files , correct ?

As I noted earlier, the 2.0-2.1 upgrade is inline. As such, it uses the upgrade bundle file vs. an OVA.

This is noted here:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/prime/infrastructure/2-1/quickstart/guide/cpi_qsg.html#pgfId-66122

The 2.2 and 3.0 releases are new deployments and would indeed use their respective OVA files.

Once you get on 3.0. the patch to 3.0.2 is an upgrade performed from within the 3.0 GUI. Same thing with the Device packs.