cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VG248 config archive fails

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

I beleive in the past these devices could not be managed bij RME config management, but now it says in the supported device table:

The following features are supported:

• Network Topology Layer 2 Services
  • Fault Management
  • Inventory Collection
  • Configuration Deploy Protocols: TELNET, SSH, TFTP, RCP
  • Configuration Fetch Protocols: TELNET, SSH, TFTP, RCP

The password and enable pasword are correct and simply work when I try a telnet from the server.

The gui is not CLI but menu driven.

RME just says:

TELNET: Failed to establish TELNET connection to 10.1.1.7 - Cause: Authentication failed on device 3 times. PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. Could not detect SSH protocols running on the device.

What can be wrong?

Cheers,

Michel

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Michel,

LMS 4.0 confirm that the support for the device with SysobjectId -  1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.404 is not support. The documentation is misleading as it shows the generic suport for the all the devices. But the support for the code of this device is still not supported.

LMS 4.0 team will update the documentation and put the exception for this device type, though LMS 3.2 clearly mention that there is no support for the device type with SysObjectID = 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.404.

Many Thanks,

Gaganjeet

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Gaganjeet Chug
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Kindly share the Device Credentials verification for the one problematic device and enable the debug for the Archivemgmt and run the Configuration job again on one problematic device after clearing the contents of the existing dcmaservice.log

Share the SysObjectID of the device too.

Many Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Thanks Gaganjeet,

Type   Cisco VG248

Soft    Version 1.3(2)

OID    1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.404

The credential check indicates the telnet pasword is wrong 

OK  OK  Incorrect  Credentials not verified.  Aug 26 2011 08:55:03

I've done an export of the DCR and the telnet pasword is absolutely correct and working when I telnet from the LMS server.

I think LMS is confused by the menu driven GUI

I have attached the job logs and the dmcaservice.log.

Cheers,

Michel

Hi,

How the prompts looks like when you try to login to device.

See this thread that closed after changing the tacasprompts.ini file with the correct prompt that do appear while logging to device.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2101430?tstart=0

LMS 4.01 :credentials vérification SSH  enable don't work

First credentials need to be Ok,only then LMS will be able to backup the config of the devices.

Many Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Thanks Gaganjeet,

The login prompt looks like this:

----------------------------------------------------------
          |               Cisco VG248 (BEL97-VG248-03)               |
           ----------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------
                       | Enter login password            |
                       |---------------------------------|
                       |                                 |
                        ---------------------------------

No kidding!!. No idea whatsoever how to put this in a tacacsprompt.ini file.

The credentials are fine. It is RME that fails to test them correctly.

Please advise,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the screenshot. I found that you now have customized prompts in tacacspropmt.ini file.

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for user prompt : Username: *

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for user prompt : username: *

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for user prompt : login: *

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for user prompt : Username:*

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for user prompt : username:*

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for user prompt : login:*

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for user prompt : username:*

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for user prompt : Username:*

[ Fri Aug 26  11:30:26 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Checking for password prompt : Password: *

and look like RME is able to login to device as well now :-

[ Fri Aug 26  11:29:11 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,State traversal for telnet login:

[ Fri Aug 26  11:29:11 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Connected

[ Fri Aug 26  11:29:11 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Verify

[ Fri Aug 26  11:29:11 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,Success

[ Fri Aug 26  11:29:11 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.transport.cmdsvc.LogAdapter,debug,31,login succeeded

Kindly run the credentials verification job and let me know the results --> Is the device still failing for the telnet and enable password ?

Also navigate to CSCOpx\objects\cmf\data and uncomment the following on file cmdsvc.properties like this :-

InitialTransportTimeout=50000

TransportTimeout=90000

TuneSleepMillis=3000

DelayAfterConnect=1000

LMS was not able to login to device successfully yet or it could be timeout issue. After this LMS try to get the config of the device using SNMP and tftp, but look like tftp is blocked in network too, See this :-

[ Fri Aug 26  11:31:04 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedDcmaGeneric.transport.GenericTftpOperator,fetchConfig,170,Initialized SNMP

[ Fri Aug 26  11:31:04 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibCommon.snmp.ConfigCopyMib,copyFromRunning,119,FileName= 20110826113104185-10.13.192.9.cfg tftpDir =  User =  password =  serverAddr = 10.1.3.156

[ Fri Aug 26  11:31:04 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibCommon.snmp.ConfigCopyMib,copyFromRunning,130,Cannot create variable binding list com.cisco.nm.lib.snmp.lib.SnmpException: SnmpResponseGenErr on 10.13.192.9 while performing SnmpSet at index = 0

[ Fri Aug 26  11:31:04 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedDcmaGeneric.transport.GenericTftpOperator,fetchConfig,182,Fetch completed

[ Fri Aug 26  11:31:04 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedDcmaGeneric.transport.GenericTftpOperator,fetchConfig,190,PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed

[ Fri Aug 26  11:31:04 CEST 2011 ],DEBUG,[Thread-956],com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedDcmaGeneric.transport.GenericTftpOperator,fetchConfig,196,PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP. java.lang.Exception: PRIMARY-RUNNING config Fetch Operation failed for TFTP.

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedDcmaGeneric.transport.GenericTftpOperator.fetchConfig(GenericTftpOperator.java:192)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedDcmaGeneric.transport.GenericTftpOperator.fetchConfig(GenericTftpOperator.java:93)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibDcma.persistor.SimpleFetchOperation.performOperation(SimpleFetchOperation.java:61)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.LibDcma.persistor.ConfigOperation.doConfigOperation(ConfigOperation.java:111)

at com.cisco.nm.xms.xdi.pkgs.SharedDcmaGeneric.transport.GenericConfigOperator.fetchConfig(GenericConfigOperator.java:72)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.dcma.configmanager.ConfigManager.updateArchiveForDevice(ConfigManager.java:1317)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.dcma.configmanager.ConfigManager.performCollection(ConfigManager.java:3307)

at com.cisco.nm.rmeng.dcma.configmanager.CfgUpdateThread.run(CfgUpdateThread.java:27)

So, in summary, kindly edit the cmdsvc.properties file and make the changes as I suggested . Also let me know the results of the credentials verification job and run the packet capture while running the credentials verification job.

Many Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Hi Michel,

Never mind, i found the issue. Device with SysObjectID 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.404 is not supported even upto LMS 4.1

• Inventory    :- No
  • Config    :- No
  • Swim Repository    :- No
  • Swim Distribution    :- No
  • Swim By Image    :- No
  • Swim By CCO    :- No
  • Swim By RemoteSatge    :- No

Many Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Outch,

Can you let me know where you found this Gaganjeet?

I based myself on

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.0/device_support/table/lms40sdt.html

when I told my customer it could be done   

I may need some doc to convince the customer it is not me that is unable to configure LMS correctly.

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel,

I check this doc and unfortunately its showing that device with SysobjectID - 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.404  is supported. let me cross check with LMS 4.0 team.

Many Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Thanks Gaganjeet,

I will need a statement from cisco that we can or can't do this, for my customer. 

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Gaganjeet,

Were you able to get feedback from the LMS 4.0 team?

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel,

Not yet, but I am following with them and keep you posted.

Many Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Hi Michel,

LMS 4.0 confirm that the support for the device with SysobjectId -  1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.404 is not support. The documentation is misleading as it shows the generic suport for the all the devices. But the support for the code of this device is still not supported.

LMS 4.0 team will update the documentation and put the exception for this device type, though LMS 3.2 clearly mention that there is no support for the device type with SysObjectID = 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.404.

Many Thanks,

Gaganjeet

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this Gaganjeet

Michel