Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Concentrator 3000 console to laptop

mrjelly
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I am trying to connect to the console port of my cisco vpn concentrator 3000. My putty configuration is what the cisco technical doc suggests. I have a female rs232 to usb to use one of the virtual COM ports on my laptop, however I am not having any success getting a display at all, just a blank putty terminal.

I have also tried some default IP address connected with an rj45 cable and on the same network

additionally I have used arp windows command line to add an arp entry for the private and public nics and go to the web portal.

I have also tried reseting the unit

can anyone help please?

thank you

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I don't think you will need any ip/arp settings for the rs232 connection. Make sure that traditional defaults are used in Putty , such as speed 9600 etc. Also power up the VPN Concentrator and during that power-up tap the space bar in Putty. Check if this helps.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for your response,
I wasn't clear, I meant I had tried arp settings as an alternative to configure it through a web portal, I'll try the space bar but I have tried enter to wake it.
I didn't know if there is a difference between a crossover and straight through rs232 to USB. I gather the vpn concentrator needs a straight through cable

- Depends how we use these terms, but it;s not like an Ethernet cable where usually auto MDIX is used these days  ; in the serial-protocol I believe TX and RX should 'cross' each other somewhere in between....

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

to confirm the cable type see the FAQ  section password recovery question

connect a PC to the console port of the VPN Concentrator using a straight-through RS-232 serial cable

Hi Yes I think the thing I'm unsure of is as everything else appears right, could it be that my usb to rs232 is not straight through but with a usb to rs232 I'm not sure if there is a difference or how to check thank you