Views
Helpful
Replies

CiscoWorks LMS 3.2 Won't Start on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise

scornish1
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I installed CiscoWorks LMS 3.2 RME on Windows Server 2008 Enterprise and the daemon manager won't start.  The server is a VMware ESX server 4.0.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing.

I get message "The service is not responding to the control function"

Has anyone had this issue?

Stephanie

3 Replies 3

Joel Monge
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There could be several reasons this happens.  Common one in Windows 2008 is the swap is not set properly as it defaults to "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives".  Try setting the swap to 8GB manually or whichever is the recommendation for your current device count as per:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/3.2/install/guide1/prereq.html

Also make sure the startup services are set this way:

CiscoWorks ANI database engine: Manual
CiscoWorks Daemon Manager: Automatic
CiscoWorks RME NG database engine: Manual
CiscoWorks Tomcat Servlet Engine: Manual
CiscoWorks Web Server: Manual
CWCS Cmf database engine: Manual
CWCS rsh/rcp service: Automatic
CWCS syslog service: Automatic
CWCS tftp service: Automatic
DFM dfmEpm database engine: Manual
DFM dfmFh database engine: Manual
DFM dfmInv database engine: Manual

Set DEP for "Windows Essential Programs Only" and set an exclusion for CSCOpx in your anti-virus on-access scanning settings.  Note that Windows 2008 R2 versions are not supported.

Joel,

I installed it successfully on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise ed SP2.

Do you know if LMS 4.x has the same issues or any issues running on Windows Server 2008 R1 or R2?

When my server was running Windows Server 2008, it also had Windows Firewall running as well.  And I did the installs with my SA account.

TAC advised to uninstall LMS 3.2, turn off the firewall, and to reinstall it as local administrator.  I did and still had the same issue.

Finally, I decided to rebuild the server with Windows 2003 which didn't "automatically" manage swap ( I did increase it manually).  The firewall was also not running.

We have a directive to run NMS on Windows 2008 so I gave to be certain if LMS 4.x will have problems.

Thank you for the information.

I was given many "fix this" and "try that" suggestions and nothing resolved the issue so I decided to try a different Windows OS.

Stephanie Cornish

Hi Stephanie,

Windows 2008 Standard/Enterprise edition SP1 and SP2 are supported on LMS 3.2 and 4.0.  Here are both documents:

LMS 4.0

LMS 3.2

R2 is not supported, but according to the information on this link it is expected to be supported in LMS 4.0 in December.  If you have had installation problems, you should strictly follow the suggestions here including proper cleanup steps which can be verified by TAC.  This should lead to a successful installation on any of the supported platforms.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: