Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

deny SNMP access on WAN

Hi,

This is a low-tech question, but recently I've been getting numerous community string errors on our WAN switch.

The ACL on our WAN interface has an ACE with "deny udp any any eq snmp"  - inbound - but I'm still getting the errors?

What am I missing here?

Regards,

Michael

4 Replies 4

Milos Megis
Level 3
Level 3

I am not sure but try this:
(config)#snmp-server community COMMUNITY ro ?
<1-99> Std IP accesslist allowing access with this community string
<1300-1999> Expanded IP accesslist allowing access with this community
string
WORD Access-list name
ipv6 Specify IPv6 Named Access-List

And except of question mark put name or number of ACL

Maybe you can create standard ACL:
Permit IP_address wildcard_mask and use this ACL

IP address range will be your private network and all other traffic will be denied by implicit deny any on the end of ACL

I've already put an ACL on SNMP access with "permit udp any "IP OF SERVER" eq snmp", and the ACL i've mentioned above, I have applied to all external interfaces.

You have to call out the ACL in the snmp-server line explicitly.

Applying it to the interface only affects traffic through the box - not traffic to the box.

An alternative / additional technique you can use is Management Plane Protection (MPP). Reference: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t11/htsecmpp.html#wp1061312

Hi Marvin,

I've looked into MPP, and our Cat4506e doesn't seem to support it - please correct me if i'm wrong.

SNMP access is only allowed from our 99 network. Here is the ACL:

Standard IP access list 1
10 permit 192.168.99.0, wildcard bits 0.0.0.255

SNMP server i configured like this:

snmp-server group NORMAL v3 priv read NORMAL write NORMAL access 1

We are using HP iMC as NMS, and every now and then I'm receiving an SNMP traps like this one:

1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.412.1.1.2.0 94.102.48.193

lookup from Cisco object Navigator:

"This contains the address of the host from which
snmp-agent has received a SNMP message that is not
authentic."

I'm thinking about wiresharking all ingress traffic on our WAN interface, but It could result i a hugh capture since the traps can be hours apart - any idea how to handle this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: