Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device discovery in Cisco Prime LMS 4.1

Hi,

im using CISCO PRIME LMS 4.1 for manage my network, i ran a device discovery job using a ping sweep on the ip ranges of my network, ie 192.168.1.0/24, 192.168.2.0/24 and so on... the discovery found all my devices, but it discovered duplicate devices with illegal ip Addresses, ie

ip                                    device    

192.168.1.255               S1

192.168.2.0                    S1

192.168.2.1                    S1 (the real address)

all in reachable status.

i dont undestad why the program adds that repeated illegal addresses.. someone can help me with that issue??

how can i run the device discovery to avoid this problem?

Many Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Julio,

Don't let LMS decide on what IP address it will manage the device.

For example, let LMS do a lookup of the sysname in DNS, then it will use the IP address coming back from the DNS as management IP.

This is what I do to avoid this.

But I also feel that LMS should be bright enough to never manage the same device twice. I think Campus DFM or RME will eventually figure out the 2 devices are the same, but they can't "fix" what is wrong in the DCR.

Cheers,

Michel

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Julio,

Don't let LMS decide on what IP address it will manage the device.

For example, let LMS do a lookup of the sysname in DNS, then it will use the IP address coming back from the DNS as management IP.

This is what I do to avoid this.

But I also feel that LMS should be bright enough to never manage the same device twice. I think Campus DFM or RME will eventually figure out the 2 devices are the same, but they can't "fix" what is wrong in the DCR.

Cheers,

Michel

Thanks Michel.

i thought was a error in my configuration or related about what i was doing for the discovery. so is a LMS's bug.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card