cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DFM 2.0 - IP Addresses instead of FQDN's in Alerts

lloyd_andrew
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know how to adjust DFM (or maybe LMS) to fix those entries that appear in Alerts with an IP address instead of the more preferred DNS name?? I have DNS set correctly on the CW2K box, along with the appropriate entries in DNS but still I see IP addresses in the alerts instead of the FQDN.

Thanks all in advance.

4 Replies 4

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

In order to configure the mail notifier, you must perform these functions:

Confirm that the smtp server is OK

Test if emails can be sent ad-hoc from the monitor console

Configure parameters that relate to forwarded email

Test and confirm that emails are received

For configuring information refer to the following url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps2421/products_configuration_example09186a00800c460f.shtml

I have nothing particulary clever configured on my setup and the FQDN's appear in DFM Alerts. Have you got your reverse lookups configured on DNS as well as the forward lookups?

Andy

Yup...forward and reverse lookups are set correctly for this address range. Most devices are fine except for a small set of them. I am thinking that I will just have to remove these devices and re-add them??

I had a similar issue a while ago at a customers. There were about 5 devices that were added (imported) into LMS 2.5 and these appeared in DFM with thier IP addresses instead of the FQDN or hostname. When they were added there was no name resolution available for these devices - none of the managed devices had been added to DNS and we simply had a HOSTS file on the LMS server. The HOSTS file was updated but for some reason these devices would only show up with the IP address in DFM.

I tried removing and re-adding these specific devices several times but to no avail. The other LMS apps show them with thier FQDN's, its just DFM that doesn't.

It still isn't sorted and I think the only way around it would be to completely remove all devices from LMS and flush the database, then re-import them all but first ensuring that all devices are entered into DNS or added to the HOSTS file.

HTH

Andy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card