Helpful
Replies

DFM 3.0.2 false alert on E1 controller

p.imre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have the following problem with DFM 3.0.2:

One of my customers has got a Cisco 3845 router with some E1 controllers in it. DFM sometimes generates an alert that says the controllers are flapping, meanwhile there is no syslog, or snmp-trap generated in the router itself. If the cables disconnected/connected, or a shut/no shut command was issued ont the interfaces, the router generates the syslog and snmp-trap as it is required.

So in a nutshell it seems that there is no flapping ont the controller, but for some reason DFM thinks that there was one.

I searched for bugs, but wasn't be able to find anything relevant neither in DFM, nor in the IOS itself (c3845-advsecurityk9-mz.124-24.T2.bin)

Is anybody has any idea what can cause this?

Thanks,

Imre

2 Replies 2

p.imre
Level 1
Level 1

Any idea from anybody?

First suggestion is that you must immediately move to DFM 3.0.5 at least.  This version is no longer supported by TAC and if you keep running on it, you might soon be dealing with much larger issues than just a false alert.  If the problem remains after upgrade, you can contact TAC to take a closer look at these false alerts.

You might want to tune the "Interface/port flapping settings" under

DFM > Configuration > Polling and Thresholds > Managing Thresholds (customize settings if it is missing).  Other than that, we would have to check the actual alert vs the SNMP data vs the device data which is why a TAC case would be best.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card