Helpful
Replies

Different IOS verions being displayed same ISR 4400

DKershner12
Level 1
Level 1

ISR 4400. Show ver and show run both display 2 different IOS

show ver

Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 03.16.05.S - Extended Support Release <- 03.16.5.S?
Cisco IOS Software, ISR Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.5(3)S5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2) <- 15.5?

Show run

boot system flash bootflash:/isr4400-universalk9.03.16.05.S.155-3.S5-ext.SPA.bin

Known bug? Or did a previous admin screw up the upgrade?

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe that's expected because XE platforms have two "OSs", the IOS we use for "routing" and the OS that's Cisco's version of a VM.

OK. But the other 4400 routers only have one IOS listed. Also 03.16.05.S has an exploit and needs to be removed.

Without diving into the 4400 ISRs, I wondering whether they might support classical IOS and IOS-XE.

Do your other 4400s running/using the same .bin file?

Looking at the others this one is the only one that runs 2 IOSs and they run a different IOS. This is the only 4400 that runs either of these IOS

Well, that can possibly explain the two versions vs. one version display.

Looking at 4400 downloads, all seem just IOS-XE related.

Again, my understanding of -XE, it had two major components, a VM like OS, and a classical IOS designed to run under the former.  The VM components, also allows other software images to run under it, not part of the IOS function (or so I believe).

Possibly Cisco displays multiple version differences when the "pairings" can be different.

In any case, I just examined 4431 downloads, and didn't find your specific version (maybe depends on specific 44xx model) but did notice other 3.16S releases all appear to have deferred status (basically, Cisco saying don't use).

If your particular release is also considered deferred, even if you don't have a maintenance contract, Cisco will sometimes provide an upgrade that fixes the problem, without charge.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

15.5(3)S5 was (past tense) the old naming convention.  The new naming convention is 3.16.5. 

If the filename has both naming convention it means the firmware is very, very old.