Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable specific syslog message

meirelyahu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How do I stop the "%ENVMON-4-FAN_LOW_RPM" messages?

I have about 30 routers that have this problem, and the syslog messages flodding me...

My current config in the routers is "logging trap debugging" and I want to keep it that way.

I only need to stop the fan related messages.

Thanks,

Meir

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try using logging discriminator to stop the messages on the syslog server.

logging discriminator ENV severity drops 4 facility drops ENVMON mnemonics drops FAN_LOW_RPM

logging host 10.1.1.1 discriminator ENV

- Dan

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

AFROJ AHMAD
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
Hi Meir,

To disable these messages:
no snmp-server enable traps envmon

I hope this will help..

Thanks

Afroj

Thanks- Afroz [Do rate the useful post] ****Ratings Encourages Contributors ****

Hi Afroj,

Thanks for your answer, but it didn't stop the messages. just stopped sending the snmp trap about this error.

Best regards,

Meir

Sven Hruza
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I think you can only set the severity level for the global logging higher than level 4 (warnings).

I have only the config for a switch at the moment, but I think it should ne the same on a router.

For the local logging buffer:

logging buffered errors          ! errors = severity level 3

For the syslog server:

logging trap errors

I never heard something about to disable one special syslog message on the device.

But you can create a message filter for that syslog message in LMS under RME -> Tools -> Syslog -> Message Filters.

Sven

Dan Frey
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try using logging discriminator to stop the messages on the syslog server.

logging discriminator ENV severity drops 4 facility drops ENVMON mnemonics drops FAN_LOW_RPM

logging host 10.1.1.1 discriminator ENV

- Dan

That works perfectly!

Thanks Dan.

Meir

I'm still getting the fan low warnings after configuring this command:

Is it version dependent?

I'm running 12.4(24)T5.

Not version depandent as far as i know.

try to use those commands -

logging console discriminator ENV

logging monitor discriminator ENV

logging buffered discriminator ENV

logging host X.X.X.X discriminator ENV

This will stop the logs from the console, the syslog server, the terminal monitor and the buffer.

Hope it helps...

Meir

Is there any way to apply this to syslog traps?   This solution works perfect for the monitor/buffered/etc, but I've found it doesn't stop the system from continuing to send those particular syslog messages as SNMP traps.  

i.e., I'm using:

snmp-server enable traps syslog

16:09:27: %PLATFORM-5-ECC_MSG: A corrected single bit error has occurred in DRAM at location 0x28EB7D00

To stop the logging to host 192.168.1.1, i've done below configuration on router

logging discriminator DRAM_ERR severity drops 5 facility drops PLATFORM mnemonics drops ECC_MSG
logging host 192.168.1.1 transport udp port 8084 discriminator DRAM_ERR

it is resulting block of all msgs to host 192.168.1.1 (not getting any logging to host 192.168.1.1)

After getting below msg seems nothing is getting logged to host 192.168.1.1

Mar  2 15:49:35: %SYS-6-LOGGINGHOST_STARTSTOP: Logging to host 192.168.150.214 port 8084 stopped - CLI initiated

Any idea how to "start" it

I got the solution when i only match mnemonics (no severity drop no facility)

logging discriminator DRAM_ERR mnemonics drops ECC_MSG

Dear Dan Frey, can you tell me if I need to stop more than one message at a time only one discriminator can use so how I can achieve that?

Hello,

you can drop more than one message by including multiple match parameters. Below is an example:

ASR9K-SYSLOG RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:May 30 12:46:21.988 KST: devc-vty[188]: %MGBL-TTY-6-CONNECTION_DENY_ACL_ERROR : Connection denied by ACL mismatch.

ASR9K-SYSLOG RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:May 30 12:46:21.989 KST: SSHD_[65930]: %SECURITY-SSHD-3-ERR_GENERAL : Failed to allocate pty

logging discriminator DROPS msg-body drops allocate|mismatch
logging buffered discriminator DROPS
logging console discriminator DROPS
logging monitor discriminator DROPS

zartejano
Level 1
Level 1

Amigo,

I had a similar problem with this: Jan 13 13:40:58.407: %ENVMON-3-FAN_FAILED: Fan 1 not rotating

And this works to me:

logging buffered 51200 debugging
logging console critical
logging trap debugging

Hope this can be useful for someone else

I had this logging error and wrote a successful logging discriminator (see below).

%C4K_HWFLOWMAN-4-NFEFLINTERRUPT: (Suppressed 107103 times)NFE FL ipv6AddrCompTblMemCorrectedEccErr interrupt.

# logging discriminator Dropipv6 msg-body drops NFE FL ipv6AddrCompTblMemCorrectedEccErr

Apply the discriminator to the appropriate place.

# logging console discriminator Dropipv6

# logging monitor discriminator Dropipv6

# logging buffered discriminator Dropipv6

This will still allow for %C4K_HWFLOWMAN logging without dropping an important message.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: