cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS used with DHCP for Local Nodes

GCloutier167
Level 1
Level 1

I have a specific lab that uses a DNS & DHCP server.

On the DNS server, i have entered a few websites & a few computer IP address (PC0 = 192.168.0.10, PC1 = 192.168.0.20, etc.).

Fairly straight forward when IP address are static. When using a DHCP for dynamic addresses, how do i configure my DNS (PC0 = Variable address from DHCP server??).

Thank's for any input on this "simple" question that's giving me trouble.

Regards

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

DDNS does not work in or with PT;

PT is just a sim to simulate real IOS; it is not real IOS, not all features are included and those that are may or may not behave as real IOS or device (Cisco and not)

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Martin L
VIP
VIP

If you use DHCP server with pools to give away IPs, there is a setting for DNS and default gateway. Drag server icon and look under service tab GUI .  There are some examples in every PT install. look for File > open samples and find dhcp example

if you use a router as DHCP server, configure a pool for LAN with following dns service

ip dhcp pool MARTIN

network 10.1.0.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 10.1.1.1

dns-server 8.8.8.8

You can attach your PT file here (must be in a zip format).

Regards, ML

Hello Martin & thank's for your feedback. I have included my "simple" network.

From PC1, i'm trying to ping PC0. I think my config is good, but in the DNS server, i have to enter PC0's address. Which is easy when using static addresses. If using DHCP, i am not certain how to associate in the DNS a node to a variable address.

Thank you so much!! That's exactly it

You are so so welcome 

DDNS does not work in or with PT;

PT is just a sim to simulate real IOS; it is not real IOS, not all features are included and those that are may or may not behave as real IOS or device (Cisco and not)

Regards, ML

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card