Hello,

I've the following problem, configured dynamic user tracking on a

WS-C4506-E with a WS-X45-SUP6L-E, System image file is a Version 12.2(53)SG2

Interface configuration:

snmp trap mac-notification change added

snmp trap mac-notification change removed

Global configuration:

snmp-server enable traps mac-notification change

snmp-server host xx.xxx.xx.xxx version 2c COMMUNITY udp-port 1431 mac-notification

!

mac address-table notification change interval 60

mac address-table notification change history-size 50

mac address-table notification change

#sh mac address-table notification change

MAC Notification Feature is Enabled on the switch

Interval between Notification Traps : 60 secs

Number of MAC Addresses Added : 21509

Number of MAC Addresses Removed : 21484

Number of Notifications sent to NMS : 11632

Maximum Number of entries configured in History Table : 50

Current History Table Length : 50

MAC Notification Traps are Enabled

UTU2 does not found any records for the device name or if I search for a directly connected PC to this switch.

12 Replies 12

bastianbrachner
Level 1
Level 1

Additional information, I've already running a WS-C4506-E with the same image file but with an

WS-X45-SUP6-E. Dynamic User Tracking on this system works fine.

Someone any ideas?

Have you also tried looking for the mac address of a known connected PC ?

Cheers,

Michel

Yes I tried to search for an connected mac address of a known connected PC, its IP address and for its hostname.

Also for the device name (switch name, in LMS4.0 possible).

Thanks.

Basti

Not sure if a logfile is made for the received traps.

First thing I would check is if the traps from the switch make it to the server.

To do so download and install winpcap  ( if you have a windows server ofcourse )

and use the LMS build in packet capture feature.

Cheers,

Michel

The mac address notification change traps receive the LMS server. The collector status for user tracking is also successfull.

I wanted to trigger a user tracking for this both switches but at the moment a major acquisition is running.

Where is this Collector Status screen? What dashboard is it on ?

The fact that you have success for usertracking does not mean you server receives mac address notification traps. It only means the passive usertracking has run. The UT results from the other switch may come from this process.

Only via snoop or packetcapture you can be sure you receive the traps you want.

Also if you look at the Collection Sumary in the Inventory -> Device Status dashboard you may find that some devics fail on usertracking.

Cheers,

Michel

Where is this Collector Status screen? What dashboard is it on ?

>> Device Center > Troubleshooting Workflow

The  fact that you have success for usertracking does not mean you server  receives mac address notification traps. It only means the passive  usertracking has run. The UT results from the other switch may come from  this process.

>> Yes you're right.

Only via snoop or packetcapture you can be sure you receive the traps you want.

>> I set up a packetcapture on the server, the server receives the mac address notification traps on UDP port 1431.

>>Dynamic user tracking of switches from the same site works...for example I have three WS-C3750V2-48PS-S over >>there.

Also  if you look at the Collection Sumary in the Inventory -> Device  Status dashboard you may find that some devics fail on usertracking.

>> Both switches are not under the failed devices.

>>I'm a little bit confused now.... I can't even start a acquisition manually, LMS says device is not reacheable... but in Device Center (1st picture) "ping", "snmp" etc... is OK...

OK Basti, It appears not to be as straightforward as I had hoped  :-)

Normally you would not need to run the usertracking to get the mac addresses from the switch since these now arrive via the traps. For the matching with an IP, hostname, vlan, etc you do still need this process, though it will have to contact other devices to get that information..

So the mac address(es) that came in the trap you captured are still not visible in usertracking?

The trap source IP address is the same as management IP address you use for the switch?

I think LMS should put the mac addresses on the switch that matches the IP address from the trap.

Sorry I'm not to sure what can be blocking here,

Michel

Hello Michel,

no... no mac addresses conected to this switch is visible in user tracking.

It looks like that that's not my only problem, I tried to start a Acquisition Action to a

other switch ( a 3750G stack) "Admin> Collection Settings> User Tracking> Acquisition Action" and got the error message

...Device unreacheable... (look at my previous posting). 

But I could start a major acquisition on all hosts and users (same page)....

Monitor> Troubleshooting Tools> Troubleshooting Workflows> all status from Discovery down to Fault Discovery was successful for this device.

May be the campus manager has problems with user tracking....

Hello Bastian.

How you solved it?

We are unable to start an acquisition action on a 3750 stack with IP routing enabled: device unreachable!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Regards.

Andrea

Hello Andrea,

CSCto06189 fixed my problem, as I can see in your post https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2112136 you already installed that fix. May be the "Consolidated RME patch for the defects CSCtr74986, CSCtq74925, CSCtq17436 and CSCtq26038 on LMS 4.0.1" (lms4.0.1-win-consolidated-rme-sept2011.tar) can fix your problem.

Regards

Bastian

Many thanks Bastian.

Unfortunately this patch, and all other consolidated, do not solve!

Regards.

Andrea

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: