Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EEM script: "RPC event detector example"

Hi Guys,

I've got one short question about the cisco RPC event detector.

Can someone give an example of the use of EEM tcl script with RPC event detector.

Interested in script on the client side and and how it uses the SSH to transfer SOAP request on the server.

The task: to notify the remote device about the event and remote device performs some action on this event.

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I wrote a Perl library that makes use of this ED.  I have a sample included with the Perl code.  Take a look at the *.tcl examples in the eg directory when you download the p5-Cisco-EEM-RPC package from https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-19523.

Thank you  Joseph!

I have seen this document. Unfortunately I only know TCL language.

Can tell how to send a SOAP message from the router to the router?

The format SOAP message (XML - ASCII text) is known from the document http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6815/whitepaper_c11-492226.html

But as it is send from TCL shell or from their policy?

Sadly you cannot send a SOAP message from router to router.  The reason for this is that you cannot propgrammatically connect via SSH and invoke subsystems on an IOS device.  You need to send your messages from a host using SSHv2.  Manually, you can do this with an SSH session from a host:

ssh -s eem_rpc -l user host.example.com

Once authenticated, send the SOAP message and terminate with "]]>]]>".

Thank you Joseph for your comprehensive answer. Now everything is clear.

Cisco the company should think of introducing such a possibility in IOS.

PS:

ie is a few ways communication devices to each other:

1. snmp-trap

2. sockets

3. Access violation (over ACL syslog message)

4.etc

Yep.  I regularly use SNMP traps and sockets.  I don't tend to use ACL violations as that can trip up operations people.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco