Views
Helpful
Replies

EIA and TIA

AshokJat
Level 1
Level 1
Spoiler
When we are making  step/utp cables then we got range of 100 meter but when we are make cable according to us like we are putting Frist brown colour and then green and whatever we want, then why we don't get that much range which we are getting when we are following standards, 
My question is that what are in those colours so if we are following the standard then we getting proper range from cable but when we are not following then we don't get that proper range, can u explain it ......

Regards
Ashok Guleriya
4 Replies 4

Hello,

as you did notice, you need to follow the standard for cabling. Pins 1 and 2 are always used for transmit, 3 and 6 for receive. 

Have a look at the link below:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

Hi Georg,

Thanks for reply,.  Actually I am not getting point that on what basis they(eia/Tia) defined these colours in cable...like white and white green and all colours are there .....

Regards

Ashok

Hello,

to be honest, I guess these colors were chosen randomly. According to Wikipedia, "ANSI/TIA-568 was developed through the efforts of more than 60 contributing organizations including manufacturers, end-users, and consultants."

They had to come up with a color scheme. It could have been any color scheme.

Rich R
VIP
VIP

"whatever we want, then why we don't get that much range which we are getting when we are following standards?"

- because the colours are coded to the twisted pairs in the cable (UTP = Unshielded Twisted Pair cable) and reliable signal transmission requires that the signal is on the correct pairs.