Views
Helpful
Replies

Email with EEM

TNMVA
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

I have an IR829 router with 2 active interfaces: 1 GigabitEthernet0 (primary) and 1 Cellular0 (secondary). Obviously it use the secondary interface when primary interface isn't available only.

Topic: Send secure/encrypt email with authentication on server.

Following this link (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-16/216091-best-practices-and-useful-scripts-for-ee.html#anc21) is possible send email but it explain how send email assuming the server allows open authentication from the device and it is not my goal.

It suggests:

event manager environment email_from email_address@company.test
event manager environment email_server 192.168.1.1
event manager environment email_to dest_address@company.test
event manager applet email_syslog
event syslog pattern "SYSLOG PATTERN HERE” maxrun 60
action 0010 info type routername
action 0020 mail server "$email_server" to "$email_to" from "$email_from" subject "SUBJECT OF EMAIL - Syslog seen on $_info_routername" body “BODY OF YOUR EMAIL GOES HERE”

Secure email should be send when the WAN/Gigabitethernet0 goes down and it will use 4G connection to send an alert/email to specific accounts.

What changes I'll do on above configuration to perform this scenario?

I have: Embedded Event Manager Version 4.00. If I remember properly, only 4.0 version support TLS for email. Correct?

Regards

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

make sure you you need to change  - what ever syslog message you get when the interface go down

"SYSLOG PATTERN HERE”

make sure your email authentication (if this is not email relay, you need to add correct username and password to send emails.

if this is using internet, and it going via the same interface if no other path to reach email server it may not work. ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

chriss.eriksen
Level 1
Level 1

Not trying to steal the topic or anything but i was wondering this too... I've tried and obviously failed at setting up my own hmail smtp relay, however, i do have gmail SMTP(through my gmail account) so, has anyone had any success setting up with authentication and possibly gmail as well?
config is about the same as the one from OP... So based on that what would one need to do? I've heard some people using TCL scripts for this, however I am unable to find any example scripts to get the feel of it.

Best regards,
Chriss

GMAIL WONT WORK

USE mailjet.com
IT WILL WORK FINE AND USE PORT 80

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: